Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to round off the top of a graded slope

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
matteklund9501
2037 Views, 7 Replies

How to round off the top of a graded slope

I'm trying to match an existing slope design that has a soft rounded off top of slope.  The toe (green) is a feature line and I'm using a 1-1/2:1 slope to natural surface grading rule.  You can see the rounded contours in blue that I am trying to match.  Does anyone have an idea how one would do this?

Top of slope.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
EDWimpee
in reply to: matteklund9501

I have used 2 tangent & radius arcs before.It worked good but takes time.

Message 3 of 8
neilyj666

not sure I'd bother - the guy on the dozer / excavator will dress off the slope to suit

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05

In a minor case like this I agree with Neil to leave it to the contractor make it look nice. It becomes a problem when an engineer or reviewer insists on having the radii shown in the plans because it is a manual process to draw them and to update them when the model changes.

So often we have to compromise our automation and lose efficiency to accomodate these types of stipulations because people don't understand the limitations of the software.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
brian.strandberg
in reply to: Neilw_05

You could do this as a corridor with daylight rounding.  Not the way I would pick but it is doable, and dynamic.  You would need alignment, profile and assembly with just the daylight sub

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/09/daylight-rounding-and-why-you-might-like-it.html

I don't think this would be work the effort unless absolutely necessary.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 6 of 8
matteklund9501
in reply to: neilyj666

Unfortunately I can't take the easy way out! The guy on the dozer will be running off GPS using machine control. This will be a stakeless grading job. Kicking the problem to the field is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I want all of the objects/entities networked together to make up the master finished surface. The ending result of this model will be an virtual representation of the finished product rather than a printed set of plans. If I could stop 5' short of the daylight and then do a five step grading rule that goes from a 1.5:1 to a 2:1, that might work. I would just need to figure out how to stop 5' short of the daylight surface.
Message 7 of 8
Neilw_05

What I sometimes do is draw splines that tie in to the FG contours on one end and the EG contours on the other and then add them to the surface as contours. We can now use splines for contours as of 2013. They are nice for smoothing scenarios like this. Once they are added as contours your surface model contours will match them. You might have to manually add a surface boundary as well since the boundary created by gradings will no longer be valid.

They aren't dynamic, but you have to balance the amount of work to set up a dynamic model vs. just drawing stuff and getting it out the door.

Modeling for machine control requires a whole lot more work on the engineering side as this situation illustrates.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Landscape architects love this stuff. Just kidding no one take offense, please.

The consensus seem to be leave it to the contractor and I agree. After all the contractor doesn't give a hoot what the contours look like - I'd go as far to say many don't even look at the plan. They see stakes not curvaceous plans.

But all that doesn't help you get what you want. Please note that you are saying you want to daylight at 1-1/2 to 1 but that isn't true  is it? Those little hooks change the definition of your slope. That's why I say "All contours are lies"

What you really want is project to a point at 1-1/2 to 1 at an amorfice distance then change for a little bit up or down then tie in to existing at some arbitrary place so it look nice (to me, my manager and some guy at the town). (not trying to be smug there is a point here somewhere), Hey some folks here are looking for gradings that make square corners.

you can add another grading to your daylight line project a small distance up or down at a shallow slope depending  if you are making a ridge or swale then daylight again - see its not 1-1/2 : 1 but something different. And it will be dynamic to changes to the base FL.

A very smart man that used to be on this G quite a bit explained it eloquently and I wont do it justice, but sometimes we have to move forward and rid ourselves of archaic constraints imposed on us by drafters of years gone by...

Not to short shrift the fine work these men and women did - some are works of art. But who is to say that the straight line tie in isn't beautiful as well? Think about it. Its all perception imposed on us by mortals not handed down by divinity

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report