Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the loops from a surface?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
528 Views, 9 Replies

How to remove the loops from a surface?

Good Morning everyone !

Today's Question is as mentioned above, How to remove the loops from a surface?

Let me explain you,

I have a surface created from the points. Eventually it has got many ups & downs in the elevations, so I did delete some of the points from the surface. And due to this, some loops are developed inside the surface itself with the closed boundaries.

I also tried to draw surface lines in those loops, either they get shorten or gets enlarged but does not completely vanishes...

Can anybody please put some light on this...?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't think many users will understand what loops in a surface are. That is not a commonly used term to describe surface problems. Can you post a screen capture or even your surface model?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 10
nilesh33

Hi,

What I understand from your post is "there are closed boundaries (inside the suface) created due to removing of points from the surfaces".

Toavoidthesame, insteadofremovingthosepointsjusteditthereelevationstomatchwithelevationsofcorrectpointsnearertothem. Basicallyyouneedtoapplytriangulationprinciples.

Message 4 of 10
nilesh33

Hi, What I understand from your post is "there are closed boundaries (inside the suface) created due to removing of points from the surfaces".

To avoid the same, instead of removing those points just edit their elevations to match with elevations of correct points nearer to them.

Basically you need to apply triangulation principles.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

Please see the attached snapshot...

Message 6 of 10
DaveM

You can fill those in with show boundaries. I use the data extraction to extract all the boundaries from the surface, then attach the interier boundaries that should not exist as a show boundary.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 7 of 10
darreng_oa

as you know, the circle is outlining an area that has no interpolation, or no data.  if you are comfortable interpolating bw the surrounding survey points, then I would rec just adding a line bw points you feel represent the surface.  Is it possible to modify the points instead of deleting them based on survey notes? 

Hope this helps, Darren

Message 8 of 10
Neilw_05

When you deleted the ponts, did you delete the triangle lines also? Deleting points should not cause holes in the surface like you have. When you delete a point, the TIN re-triangulates to the next nearest points. It appears to me you have somehow deleted the triangles in that area.

In your surface properties do you see any deleted lines in your edit history? If so, try disabling those edits and see if the hole goes away.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 10
ericcollins6932

You created voids in your surface. Add lines under Edits to put the TIN back.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 10 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: ericcollins6932

There should be no need to add lines or show boundaries if the surface is edited properly. Run some tests and see what happens if you only remove points from a TIN. The lines should re-triangulate to the nearest adjacent points.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report