Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to re-create contour lines from an existing curved or shape contours.?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dilsmails1
1589 Views, 12 Replies

How to re-create contour lines from an existing curved or shape contours.?

How to re-create  contour lines from an existing contours.?

I know there is an option to create contours from 3d lines, 3d points etc… but I have a contour, got from someone else, it is completely made of curves. How to recreate this type of contours, is there is any option in civil 3D to create this type of contour lines? (curve contour lines) also those contours are given in 2d only. any  way to make them in 3d lines? Please help.

(.dwg attached)

contours.jpg

Dileep
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
doni49
in reply to: dilsmails1

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/SURFACE-TRIANGULATION/td-p/4842299

Is there any way you can get your hands on the surface data that was used to create the contours?  (assuming it was done in a modeling app like C3D or InRoads).  My first choice would be the breaklines and points.  Second choice would be triangles.  Way down the list would be contours -- but yes, there is an import contours tool.  But they'd have to be at the appropriate elevation -- otherwise how would the import contours tool know what elevations they belonged at?

As far as the contours being 2d goes, a contour can ONLY be at one elevation so 2d polylines are fine.  But you could move each contour to the appropriate level.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 13
rkmcswain

I took your "contours", many of which were arcs, and exported to WMF, reimported that and exploded to get polylines. Then I elevated the polylines to the correct elevation, then exploded that to lines., then added those lines to a new surface. It's pretty close to the original.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: rkmcswain

Randy:

Is there a reason you did not add the polylines to the surface?

Bill

Message 5 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: wfberry

None at all. I was just thinking lines as AutoCAD entities, but polylines as breaklines would have worked just as well.
Message 6 of 13
dilsmails1
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for your reply sir

but i am not happy with your answer, becauce i am working on a very big project, it dos't make sense to give elevations on eatch contours may be it is 1000nds of contour line. and this is a proposed grading contour so no way to get that surface data that was used to create the contours, how it becomes arc any option in C3D?

Dileep
Message 7 of 13
dilsmails1

sir

it works only for converting that arc lines as polylines or lines , how you elevated that lines to the correct elevation, giving the elevations of eatch polylines one by one ?

Dileep
Message 8 of 13
rkmcswain

@dilsmails wrote:

sir

it works only for converting that arc lines as polylines or lines , how you elevated that lines to the correct elevation, giving the elevations of eatch polylines one by one ?

Yes I did because it was a small sample and it only took about 2 minutes to modify them.

If you are working on a larger set, this lisp routine should help: http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/object-properties/auto-elevate-polylines

Message 9 of 13
dilsmails1

its not working 

Command: AUTOELEVATE
Enter starting radius:1
Enter radius increment:1
Enter maximum radius:2
Process Complete...0 Flat Segments Elevated.
Command:

Dileep
Message 10 of 13
ksorsby

I can't get that lisp working either, it throws up an error:

; error: ActiveX Server returned the error: unknown name: Elevation

I think the fact that they are arcs is a red herring - you can convert arcs to polylines and use those as breaks.

I think manually adding the elevations is the best, if not the most ideal, option.

Plus, even if the lisp did work, there are a lot of contours in this sample that aren't labelled so you'd have to do a lot manually anyway.

Sorry!

Kevin

Message 11 of 13
rkmcswain

@dilsmails wrote:

its not working 

Command: AUTOELEVATE
Process Complete...0 Flat Segments Elevated.

If I remember correctly, your 'contours' were arcs. The lisp routine elevates polylines, not arcs.

Convert the arcs to polylines and it runs fine, except as Kevin pointed out, on contours with no elevation text.

Here is a view of the site tilted almost on its side, showing the elevation applied to most of the contours.

That took about 1 minute. There is no magic button if that is what you're looking for. You'll have to put a little manual effort into this one.

side2.png

Message 12 of 13
dilsmails1
in reply to: wfberry

anybody knows how this contours are created

Dileep
Message 13 of 13
dilsmails1

but somebody is worked with me, they converted the 2d contours ( already uploaded a part of it) to 3d very simply. but they are not telling how the did. any ides's?

Dileep

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report