Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Provide Multiple Daylight Subassemblies with One Assembly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
xgeneration
685 Views, 8 Replies

How to Provide Multiple Daylight Subassemblies with One Assembly

Hello, have a question regarding multiple daylight subassemblies, don't know if it is possible.  So I have an assembly with a trench SA in cut condition and a project to surface in fill condition, I built the corridor with this assembly and most of things look fine.  However, there is a short stretch (in cut condition) of the corridor that I would like to modify such that a trench is not provided.  I know I can create a new assembly with my desire condition, then create a new region and drop that assembly there, but I am wondering if there any other way to achieve my goal without another assembly.

Please enlight.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Maybe use the conditional subassembly?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: xgeneration

You can ise the corridor section editor and edit some stations manually and remove the dicth by modifying the SA parameters for those specific stations.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 9
fcernst

How to Provide Multiple Daylight Subassemblies with One Assembly is your question.

Good for you on thinking about how you can use one assembly, and not just give up and resort to using multiple Regions, or engage in the use of Subassembly Overrides. The latter especially can lead to pure misery in Civil 3D. 

Yes, the implementation of Conditional subassemblies is the way to go. Be elegant, be rigorous...and practice, practice.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 9
xgeneration
in reply to: fcernst

I am using 2012 Civil 3D, there are only two metric conditional SA available in this version,  ConditionalCutOrFill and ConditionalHorizontalTarget.  Is there anymore conditional SA available or can I use these two to solve my problem, I am thinking of trying the latter one.

As for going into the Section Viewer and manually override some sections, do I have to repeat this procedure after everytime I update the design?  I had this experience with InRoads where the manually override sections did not update concurring with the new design.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 9

Those are the only two provided.  For your case, use the ConditionalHorizontalTarget.  I think you should try Matt's suggestion first.  

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 9
fcernst

You could start off just using one in your learning process, however to be truly succesfull and efficient, and get pay raises...

You will want to use the two in combination together to solve real world engineering problems efficently and elegantly.

Your painful experiences with Section Overrides in the other software is relevant to design practice in Civil 3D also.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 9
mathewkol

Regarding your XS editor queation, it depends on the nature of the override. If there is a workflow where the conditional SA will work, use it instead. If there isn't, use multplie regions and a different assemly if that works, use section overrides last.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 9
xgeneration
in reply to: mathewkol

Thank you guys, you are gentlemen.  I will interchange these methods hand to hand.  Now does someone have a solution for my other question?  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Correcting-Ditch-Location/m-p/4341774

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report