Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include surface inside of looping roads

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
449 Views, 6 Replies

How to include surface inside of looping roads

Hey guys,

I am working on a project that is changing as fast as I'm designing it.  Is there a dynamic way to include the surface inside of my looped roads in the overall surface?

* Grey contours are my existing topo

* Multi-colored is the surface of my road

* Purple contours are of the two pasted together

I varied the colors so they'd be easier to see.  I created a new surface, then pasted topo, finally the roads.  I understand that the roads surface creates a breakline and you can export that out and pasted it back in to the topo and create an "inner surface" and paste that in.  Problem is, the road surface isn't set and changes daily.  Anyone have a dynamic way to fix my FG overall surface??

Thanks in advance!

Toni

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Currently we also don't have an easy way to do this, I shall follow this thread with much interest!
Message 3 of 7
jmayo-EE

If you have a corridor you can extract the inner daylight line & keep it dynamically linked.

Try to make a new surface, paste in the EG surface and see if the autocorridor fline works as an outer boundary. Paste this surface into your FG model.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

When I created the auto fline from the inside line of the corridor is wasn't a continuous line from my many corridors. 

I separated my road surface back to individual surfaces(one for each intersection and one for each road corridor) and then pasted all of those over top of the topo I was using.  This worked and filled in the middle.  Not really sure what the different was in adding them separately but it did what I needed.  Thanks for the ideas to try

Message 5 of 7
doni49

I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what your trouble is.  I tried it in C3D 2012 and it looks ok to me -- or are you saying the area between the roads need to be regraded too?

C3DComposite Surface.png

EDIT:  If the issue IS that you want to regrade between the roads, then it seems that you wouldn't want the roads to daylight at the EG.  Instead, create the inner surface separately and then have the corridor daylight at that surface.  Then create a "Composite Surface" in which you have EG, INNER surface and Corridor surface pasted in.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Your two roads don't make a complete loop.  When mine do, the surface gets cut off inside.  it doesn't include the existing topo in the finished surface.

Message 7 of 7
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

Your two roads don't make a complete loop.  When mine do, the surface gets cut off inside.  it doesn't include the existing topo in the finished surface.

Like this?

C3DComposite SurfaceClosedLoop.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report