Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Handle Offset Alignments at Intersections?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
daryl.riggins
716 Views, 5 Replies

How to Handle Offset Alignments at Intersections?

Hi,

My office draws a new road centerline using lines and curves. Subsequent road features such as edge of pavement, back of curb and right of way are all done with old-fashioned offset and fillet commands. I can see the value of making use of C3D alignments and offset alignments. I understand how to create what I want with the exception of how to handle intersections. So, what is the process for having C3D properly handle right of way lines (offset alignments) when two centerline alignments connect at an intersection?

1.png

---
Daryl Riggins, PE
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: daryl.riggins

I am very interested, too.
Currently, for a tee, I'll make two; start to inbound PC , outbound pt to end, side road to PC then make separate return. I make all the curb and sw from each. If I get a change most times only the returns have to be redone
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

The intersection wizard too
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 6
daryl.riggins
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joseph,

Can you describe your process with more detail? For example, I'm unclear how to have C3D create returns for right-of-way alignments. Currently, if I create ROW lines at a tee, I end up with four lines that need to be trimmed and filleted. What does your process look like?

I also wonder if I am handling intersections correctly. For a tee, I simply start a new alignment at the desired location on an existing alignment. Is there a different process that "tells" C3D that what I am creating is an intersection? I've used Intersection Wizard but only to create curb returns to use in a corridor. Perhaps I'm overlooking something here?

---
Daryl Riggins, PE
Message 5 of 6
Joe-Bouza

The wizard creates your flow line return alignment. Then you can create offset alignments from them. The offsets could include back of curb front and back of sidewalk and you can add the ROW
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 6
tcorey

If you use Intersection Wizard without profiles and assemblies, then it will still create the offset and curb return alignments for you, without the need to do any filleting or trimming.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report