Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of the word "Vertical" in Cross Sections labels in C3D 2013

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
bryancollins3174
6427 Views, 32 Replies

How to get rid of the word "Vertical" in Cross Sections labels in C3D 2013

I just recently was upgraded to C3D 2013 and I am designing my first road using the software. I've been having all sorts of fun and frustrations with Corridors and Cross Sections and learning slowly, but its all the little things that keep bogging me down.

One of the problems I have run into is when I use the Code Set label for Grade/Slope in Cross Sections I get label that reads -2.00% and then the word "Vertical". Is there an easy way to get rid of the word "Vertical" in every one of my 90+ Cross Sections? I checked under Label Style and it seems the only option is {Link Grade} which is what puts the Slope and Vertical. I mean what is the purpose in that word even appearing? I know that I can right click on the label and change visibility to False and it won't show, but I shouldn't have to do that for 90+ Cross Sections. Also I've seen the word "Horizontal" labeled as well and I don't want that word to show either.

I'd appreciate any help dealing with this issue.  Thanks.

Bryan Collins

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
wfberry
in reply to: bryancollins3174

Perhaps if you could attach enough of your working .dwg so we can take a look at your Code Set Style for this project.

Bill

Message 3 of 33
bryancollins3174
in reply to: wfberry

The drawing is too big. Its around 3.5 mb.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 33

Trying to attach a new file that I pulled the code set into and keep getting a file extension or file type error. Going to try and zip it to see if that helps matters.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 33

"Vertical" is added to a vertical links instead of ∞%. I looked at the screen capture and it looks like there is a vertical yellow link at the edge of the road that is problem. Not sure what subassemblies were used there or what is going on without looking at the model (or at least a small part of it).

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 33

I checked the Cross Section Subassembly and the one shows the Vertical label is the ShoulderVerticalSubbase. I attached the properties box of the SA. 

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 7 of 33
MLopezM

have you checked the text component of the label? select the label and click modify style, then under the "layout" tab look for the field "contents", click on the field and then click on the three dots as shown in the picture. If the text on the right side shows the word "vertical" on it, then you could select and erase it, then click apply and your problem would be solved for the 90+ cross sections. Hope that helps.

text component editor

Message 8 of 33
bryancollins3174
in reply to: MLopezM

The only thing in Text Content is {Link Grade} which is what is giving the -2.00% and the word Vertical. I've been all through code set styles and the subassembly. I am not seeing anything that is out of place.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 9 of 33
Jeff_M

Use an expression such as this (for a 0.08" high text label):

IF(ABS({Link Grade})>0.25,0,0.08/12)

And the Link Label Style's Text Component text height to use that expression. This expression will eliminate the label on any link steeper than 25%.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 33
MLopezM

did you try deleting the word vertical?
Message 11 of 33
wfberry
in reply to: MLopezM

As usual, it appears that Jeff hit the nail on the head.  The word VERTICAL does not appear in the formula, as far as I could tell.

Bill

Message 12 of 33
bryancollins3174
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks everyone for your help and especially Jeff.  His expression solution worked. Oh and I wouldn't have even known the steps to do an expression if I hadn't read something earlier in the day yesterday about getting rid of the word "Horizontal" as well. After reading that Being Civil blog post form 2012 (http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/12/corridor-top-link-label-tip.html ) I suspected the same type thing would be needed to get rid of the word "Vertical" in my labels, but not know the basics behind Expressions no matter what I tried it didn't seem to work.  So thanks again Jeff for your expert solution.

Now does everyone know how to do these expressions for labels? If not, how come I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Seems it would be a common issue and people would be posting all about it unless I setup something wrong in my assembly. I am trying to self teach myself about corridors and cross sections by playing around with everything in C3D and watching gigabytes of videos I've downloaded online and my old Master Civil 3D 2010 book. Still so many things I'm not understanding about it all.

It took me over 6.5 hrs yesterday alone trying to figure out how to manipulate hatching in the cross sections. Then found out that some of the Subassemblies that come with C3D isn't coded correctly Would never thought that the SuBbase would not be controlled by the SuBbase code. In fact it is controlled by the Basic code. And I stil haven't figured out how to get a Cut/Fill hatch to show in the cross sections either.

So if there is by chance some expert in corridors and cross sections that would be willing to help me directly through emails or whatnot please let me know. Email: bcollins@davisfloyd.com

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 13 of 33
troma

I'd advise you to get some classroom training if possible. (I never got any in C3D.) But other than that, keep coming back here with questions. This way you get help from lots of people, not just one. You also help others who can read over the thread later.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 14 of 33
Djerem_KH
in reply to: troma

Hello thanks for this thread. Is someone could point me a link to the expression code manual for C3D2016. Because it seems a lot can be done with it. Best regards, Jeremy

Message 15 of 33
Jeff_M
in reply to: Djerem_KH
Message 16 of 33
mkmartin1206
in reply to: Jeff_M

I finally remove the word "VERTICAL" but is there also any chance i can remove the arrow sign that comes with it? I want to present the percent grade with arrow sign. Thanks

Message 17 of 33
jrouseAQJS8
in reply to: Jeff_M

Where exactly is this expression pasted?  Is it in the "Text Height" box of the label style Layout Tab?  Or is it somewhere in the Text Contents area?  I have this very issue and I am confident this will be a good solution for me if I can just figure out where to paste that expression.

Thanks.

Message 18 of 33
ChrisRS
in reply to: jrouseAQJS8

Per @Jeff_M's solution:

Create the expression in  Toolspace > Settings > General > Label Styles > Links > Expressions (i.e. "No Vertical")

Now edit the approporiate style and set the Text Component Text Height to teh expression ("No vertical")

You should see this take effect in the peview.

Note: When setting the text height, you can not type the name of the expression; there is no "..." and drop down to select from. You need to select, then scroll up or down using the arrow keys or scroll wheel. image.png

image.png

Scroll to select "No Vertical"

image.png

Done!

image.png

Good Luck!

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 33

Thank you! @Jeff_M 

Message 20 of 33
Jared.Reddy
in reply to: ChrisRS

What's the '/12' for at the end?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report