Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to figure multiple volumes from two surfaces?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jarradt
325 Views, 3 Replies

How to figure multiple volumes from two surfaces?

FIrst time using CIvil3D to figure volumes.  I have a very large aerial topo from a couple years ago to compare against a topographical survey I completed this year.  No problem creating surfaces. 

Question:  In the topo's, I need to get a volume from two different areas....one area being a fill area, the other being the borrow area.  Don't want any volume data throughout the rest of the site.

Do I just create one large surface for each topo and designate boundaries somehow?  Or do I need to create multiple surfaces for each topo?  If this is the case, will I need to make sure any breaklines, etc. don't cross from one area to the other?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sboon
in reply to: Jarradt

Either method will work, but for simplicity I would just create two surfaces and then use the bounded volume tools to compare them in the two areas you're interested in.

What version are you using?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 4
Jarradt
in reply to: sboon

I am using 2012. 

So you are saying to just create one surface for each topo, then use the 'bounded volume' tool to figure volumes for areas that I want to compare?

Ok....just looked up 'bounded volume'...appears like that should be easy method.

Thank you....

Message 4 of 4
neilyj666
in reply to: Jarradt

I'd create a volume surface and use that - you will also be able to scrutinise it to identify the location of the cuts and fills

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report