AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Jarradt
Message 1 of 4 (154 Views)

How to figure multiple volumes from two surfaces?

154 Views, 3 Replies
09-26-2013 03:41 PM

FIrst time using CIvil3D to figure volumes.  I have a very large aerial topo from a couple years ago to compare against a topographical survey I completed this year.  No problem creating surfaces. 

Question:  In the topo's, I need to get a volume from two different areas....one area being a fill area, the other being the borrow area.  Don't want any volume data throughout the rest of the site.

Do I just create one large surface for each topo and designate boundaries somehow?  Or do I need to create multiple surfaces for each topo?  If this is the case, will I need to make sure any breaklines, etc. don't cross from one area to the other?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 2 of 4 (134 Views)

Re: How to figure multiple volumes from two surfaces?

09-26-2013 05:46 PM in reply to: Jarradt

Either method will work, but for simplicity I would just create two surfaces and then use the bounded volume tools to compare them in the two areas you're interested in.

What version are you using?

Jarradt
Message 3 of 4 (108 Views)

09-27-2013 08:34 AM in reply to: sboon

I am using 2012. 

So you are saying to just create one surface for each topo, then use the 'bounded volume' tool to figure volumes for areas that I want to compare?

Ok....just looked up 'bounded volume'...appears like that should be easy method.

Thank you....

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 4 of 4 (96 Views)

09-27-2013 10:11 AM in reply to: Jarradt

I'd create a volume surface and use that - you will also be able to scrutinise it to identify the location of the cuts and fills

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!