AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 11 of 18 (270 Views)

Re: How to export a surface STYLE to a different drawing?

02-24-2012 08:36 PM in reply to: hb_alaska

Some of the Country Kits come with C3D and can be installed by going to Control Panel, Unisntall a program, select C3D2012, once the dialog comes up, the lower left corner has "Add or Remove Content". Select this, the UKIE kit is the third from the last in the list.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 12 of 18 (265 Views)

02-25-2012 08:35 AM in reply to: hb_alaska

hb_alaska wrote:

Also, the suggestion to set up my customized surface analysis in a dwg template was really good.  Tried to do that, but c3d won't let you set up an surface analysis style without a "real" surface.  Bummer, huh?  Maybe I'll try creating a bogus, 3-point surface just so that c3d has something real to sink it's digital teeth into, instead of hypothetical nothingness.  Still, I'm not keen on having anything bogus in my dwgs, especially a template.  Then again, if that analysis export tool works, then maybe I won't need to put that style in a template.  We shall see.

You could create a surface, add data to it, run the analysis, and then remove the data. That might keep the empty surface with the analysis. You could then just paste whatever surface you want to run the analysis on into that surface and, badda bing badda boom, you have a surface analysis.

I create a couple "bogus" things in my templates to assist users such as pipe networks (that way you don't have to change layers every time you create a different network) and point groups.

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
hb_alaska
Message 13 of 18 (244 Views)

02-27-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff.  Tried that.  I'm running c3d 2011.  The UKIE kit was not listed as an option of additional content to add.

hb_alaska
Message 14 of 18 (241 Views)

02-27-2012 09:29 AM in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian - I might end up trying your suggestion if I can't find a 2011 version of the UKIE kit first.

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 15 of 18 (237 Views)

02-27-2012 09:51 AM in reply to: hb_alaska

It's there in 2011 as well. I did leave out a step....at the first screen that you see after you select "Add or Remove content", hit the Next button. You will then see a screen like this (after scrolling down):

2-27-2012 9-47-31 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
hb_alaska
Message 16 of 18 (230 Views)

02-27-2012 11:05 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Omg, it almost worked!

Left surface - orginal.

Right surface - target of exported surface analysis.

Dialog box - surface properties/analysis tab.

The export worked, but it seems something literally got lost in the translation.  The color range in the analysis tab should all be of the same hue and saturation, but graduated in 5-point luminance increments.  So, the original is basically all one color, just in incrementally lighter shades.

The target, as shown in the dialog box, has different colors (lavender and teal, not just plain ole blue).  And some discrete elevation ranges are using the same color.

I opened the text file that was created using a tool from the ukie kit (as shown in that link I posted a few days ago).

the text file is very simple - 3 columns: color, elev low, elev high.

The problem is that the color field in the text file is only one field wide - just a single color code.  Whereas the original color scheme used 3 fields: hue, saturation, luminance.

Neilyj - you said you got something like this to work in the ukie kit, but it didn't work the way you thought it would.  Is this what you meant - the color scheme not translating properly?

image002.jpg

jszalus
Message 17 of 18 (164 Views)

11-15-2012 12:23 PM in reply to: emelendez

Was not working for me at first either.

Dragged my surface styles in with no problems when I open both drawings in one civil 3d session.

Civil 3d 2K11

jib

Distinguished Mentor
andrewpuller3811
Message 18 of 18 (146 Views)

11-17-2012 11:08 PM in reply to: hb_alaska

Country Kits are free.

You can either add them by

If civil 3d was installed directly onto you machine from the install media

1. Go to the Windows Control Panel
  2. Programs and Feature (for windows vista or 7)
  3. select "AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013" (or whichever version you have) and click "Uninstall/Change"
  4. Click Add or Remove Features button in the form that opens.
  5. a new form opens which allows you to add or remove content packs (also called "country kits")
  6. Check either the UKIE content or the ANZ content (both have the surface analysis export/import tool)
  7. click next
  8. click update

If civil 3d was installed/deployed from a deployment you can download and install individual country kits from this link

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7271531&linkID=9240698

If this fixed your issue, click on "Accept as Solution"

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz with 16GB Ram
Civil 3d 2013 64bit
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.