Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit alignment delta angle

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Neilw_05
2107 Views, 10 Replies

How to edit alignment delta angle

I have created an alignment from an imported polyline. I now need to vary the delta angle between some of the tangents for different scenarios. I see the delta value in the panorama but it is not editable. Is there a way to enable it? If not, how can I adjust the angle parametrically??

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil,

Could you trace a new alignment over your imported polyline to make a parametrically editable alignment?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Pointdump

My constraints are: first tangent length to point of curve=130', next a curve of radius=45' for delta angle variable, 30, 45 & 60 degrees, then a final tangent so that total length of the alignment=250'. What components would I use to layout this alignment such that I can edit the deflections while controlling the other constraints?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 4 of 11
Pointdump

Neil,

Can you change the curve under the Tangency Constraint heading to make it Floating or Free?

Constraints.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 11
wfberry

Neil:

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong but I only see 3 possibilites, 30. 45, 60 degrees.  The length of the curve plus the forward tangent will have to equal 120 feet.

Draw each with with a polyline and use the lengthen command to total 250', holding the back tangent to 130'.

Bill

You probably have something else in mind.

Message 6 of 11
_Hathaway

I find the alignment layout tools very cumbersome. Just draw what you want with normal lines and curves and either 'add' your new data to an existing alignment or start a new alignment with your new lines and curves.
Message 7 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Pointdump

I can get the DELTA field to be editable by unlocking the constraints and changing the type but when I enter new values they won't stick. I also tried adding the curve to the end of a tangent (vs. curve between tangents). That approach allows me to change the delta but editing the delta only affects the curve, not the tangent. At this point I don't think it's worth investing more time into making this work so I'll just make do with redrawing manually.

If anyone comes up with a solution it might come in handy later.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 11
sboon

Perhaps a little late, but I think I've got a solution.

Except for the first tangent, all of the alignment elements here are floating.  All of the curves are from entity end, using radius and length (using the DeltaAng option on the command line) and all of the tangents are from curve end, length.

If you edit any of the delta or length paramters all of the downstream alignment will shift or rotate to maintain tangency.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11
Pointdump

@Neilw wrote:

I can get the DELTA field to be editable by unlocking the constraints and changing the type but when I enter new values they won't stick. I also tried adding the curve to the end of a tangent (vs. curve between tangents). That approach allows me to change the delta but editing the delta only affects the curve, not the tangent.

Neil,

I spent some time today trying to make your three possibles editable, and I came to the same conclusion.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: sboon

Your alignment works as desired Steve. Comparing our workflows I realized that I had used the fixed line from end of curve by mistake. After seeing yours working I revistited my work and found the error. Well done.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

Your alignment works great. Both the Radius and Delta Angle are editable:

Steve.PNG

I tried to make Neil's hypothetical alignment, but the Delta Angle is not editable on my alignment:

Alignment.PNG

How come mine doesn't work?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report