Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw this Curve?

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
Anonymous
10549 Views, 39 Replies

How to draw this Curve?

Hey guys, well this being my second post I guess I should tell a little about myself

I started off doing drafting in high school at our community college, after a while I got picked up for our local city government as an intern for GIS while I was a junior in high school at the same time going to a community college. I am now in charge of our minor Engineering work and a good chunk of our non database GIS work at my local county government. I was never that fluent in Civil 3d just took a class on it but I've been able to stumble through I'd appreciate a little input on this curve!

Well I was just wondering if you all could help me figure out how to draw this curve I found in a legal description . If you can just give me an idea of where to look or how to figure this out I should be able to figure it out. I'm just sitting here scratching my head at the moment 

"Thence around a 11 degree 28 minute curve to left, running from a tangent bearing N88-59E for 188.5 feet"

Thank you!

Cory

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Draw the line first by going to the line drop down menu and pick "by bearing". then in the same pull down menu go to the curves menu and select "curve from end of object"  this will draw a tangent curve from the line. "To the left" means counter clockwise from the bearing you gave use which would be a negative radius.

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous

I concur with Deertick, and will add.."gee your lucky you got that much information"Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 40
wfberry

I think it is easier to comprehend if the user knows the radius of the curve, which is directly related to the degree of curvature.  In this case the radius would be 499.672 feet in your case, using the arc definitioin.  Not knowing your version, you may have a Curve Solver somewhere in your utilities.  (Let's don't get into the chord definition as I think in most cases the arc definition will apply, unless we are talking about a railroad.)

Bill

Message 5 of 40
AllenJessup

This may be a little difficult. The way it is written it may be referring to the Degree of Curve(ature) rather than the central angle. Additional confusion can come from the fact that there are 2 definitions for Degree of Curve. One was commonly used in highway work the other was used in railroad work.

The roadway definition is the angle that includes an arc length of 100'. The railroad definition is the angle that includes a chord of 100'. Hopefully you can determine which one it may be referring too. Or the writer of the description may have meant the central angle and just wrote it in a strange way.

You can select this while creating the curve from end of object. This is also covered in Help. Search for "degree of curve".

Command: _AeccCurveFromEndOfObject
Select arc or line object:
Select entry [Radius/Point] <Radius>:
Specify Radius, or [degreeArc/degreeChord]: a
Specify degreeArc, or [Radius/degreeChord]: 11.28
Select entry [Tangent/Chord/Delta/Length/External/Mid-ordinate] <Length>:
Specify length of curve: 188.5

Allen

See:http://www.steamlocomotive.com/model/curve.shtml

http://www.dot.state.il.us/desenv/survey/apxa.pdf

http://www.ctre.iastate.edu/educweb/ce353/lec05/lecture.htm

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 40
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

BTW: When plotting a deed description I try not to run through the curve if there is only one. I'll run the description from the point of beginning until I hit the point of curvature then I'll run it backwards from the point of beginning to the point of tangency. Then I'll see how the curve will fit. This is because most deeds were written before computers or calculators and most of the error you'll find will be in the curves. If there is more than one curve. I'll skip over the curve, draw the next tangent, draw the radials from the tangents and move the floating tangent and radial to the radius point created by drawing the radial from the inbound tangent. You can't do it this way unless you have a radius. Doing it this way minimizes your error of closure. Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous

Thank you all I appreciate the help, I'm going to try this all right now

I usually try to go backwards from the POB as well when I'm stuck Allen, but in this case there is actually two curves like this one to. So going from the beginning of the legal I hit one of the curves going backwards I hit the other curve

I forgot to mention, this is a legal description for a road

and I'm running C3D 2011

Message 8 of 40
Neilw_05

Great suggestions in the replies here.

In my experience the writers of legal descriptions typically do not use arc and chord defined curves so the angle of curve is usually the included angle or the deflection angle. I suspect that is true in this case as well. The reason being the writer of the description could easily determine the included or deflection angle of a curve by calculating the difference in bearings of the start and end tangents and I am guessing that the map gave the length of the curve and tangent bearings. It can easily be verified by a rough estimate of the difference in tangent bearings in the description.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 40
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

In my experience the writers of legal descriptions typically do not use arc and chord defined curves so the angle of curve is usually the included angle or the deflection angle 

Definitely true. But the way that curve was described is just far enough from what I consider normal that it made me wonder. I'd also expect it to be a non-tangent curve (to the inbound course) since the back-tangent is supplied.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 40
Neilw_05

@AllenJessup wrote:
I'd also expect it to be a non-tangent curve (to the inbound course) since the back-tangent is supplied.

Can you clarify why you think the curve is non-tangent Allen? Also, from the OP I understood that the inbound tangent is provided, not the outbound, since the curve is described as "from a tangent bearing N88-59E for 188.5 feet".

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 40
AllenJessup

Neilw wrote:

Can you clarify why you think the curve is non-tangent Allen? Also, from the OP I understood that the inbound tangent is provided, not the outbound, since the curve is described as "from a tangent bearing N88-59E for 188.5 feet".

In my experience the only reason to specify a tangent bearing for a curve is if the curve is not tangent to the inbound course. Since a tangent bearing is supplied it makes me suspect that the curve isn't tangent to the previous course. I know that's a lot of supposing from a portion of one line in the description.

I thought the back-tangent was the inbound tangent as in the tangent at the back of the curve. Although I'm just assuming that the PC is the back of the curve. If that's wrong let me know.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 40
Anonymous

Thank you All, I'm learning a lot tinkering with these tools I figured I'd post up the legal description to help you all understand a little better. Still having some trouble getting her to close

Beginning at a point which bears South 1306 Feet from the N.W. corner of section 21, thence around a 11 degree 28 minute curve to the left, running from a tangent bearing N88-59E for 188.5 feet, thence N 47-09E 1775.5 feet, thence South 98 feet, thence S 47-09W 1847.5,  thence around a 11 degree 28 minute curve to right running from a tangent bearing S47-09W 105.5 feet, thence west 120, thence North 14 feet to place of beginning, Containing 3 acres more or less.

thanks again all

Message 13 of 40
AllenJessup

Without plotting it I'd say it looks like the parcel cuts across 2 concentric curves. The courses are a little general, so I wouldn't expect a high degree of closure.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 40
AllenJessup

I tried plotting this. Fist. Is the 1847.5 feet correct. I don't see how the following courses could bring you back from that far out. I've tried using the angle as the Arc definition and as the central angle. I think that 1847.5' distance doesn't make sense.

Do you have a map that show what the approximate shape of the parcel should be?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 40
AllenJessup

BTW This is what I used for the curves holding the 11.28 as the central angle.

CURVE SOLVER RESULTS
------------------------------------------------
 Included angle = 11-28-00
         Radius = 941.883'
 Tangent length = 94.566'
     Arc length = 188.500'
   Chord length = 188.186'
External secant = 4.735'
   Mid ordinate = 4.712'
Degree of curve = 06-04-59

CURVE SOLVER RESULTS
------------------------------------------------
 Included angle = 11-28-00
         Radius = 527.154'
 Tangent length = 52.927'
     Arc length = 105.500'
   Chord length = 105.324'
External secant = 2.650'
   Mid ordinate = 2.637'
Degree of curve = 10-52-08

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 40
Anonymous

yup the 1847.5 is what is printed on the legal dunno if its correct or not, I'm glad I'm not the only one who ran into that problem Allen. I was questioning myself.....

There aren't any parcels adjacent that will give us information (this is a easement) I went ahead and created a PDF from ArcMap

The parcel in question is "San Jose" road as shown on the map

forgot to mention this legal is about 88 years old!

Message 17 of 40
AllenJessup

No. It's not the distance. I had one entered wrong. It's in the curve. The age of the document isn't that bad. I work in NY and being one of the original colonies we have some old descriptions. I work with survey field notes over 75 years old in this office.

I haven't done any work in the part of the country that uses sections. Would you have any reason to think the description should hit the east-west section line, as shown in your PDF? Particularly after the 1775.5' line..Right now I have something that looks like the attached

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 40
Neilw_05

If I read the description correctly, there is no E-W line before the first curve. It should start on the section line. That probably isn't going to help though. Also, is the aerial photo oriented north? The first curve is to the right in the photo and to the left in the description (or is the easement connecting to the N-S road along the west section line?).

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 19 of 40
AllenJessup

That's how I read it too. After seeing the photo it looks like there is some distance from the section line to the road in question. If you use the tangent as the first course the curve to the left makes sense. Since the description fails. I'm falling back on intent.

Of course if I were doing the Survey we would have field locations and adjacent deeds to help make sense of it. Right now it's just a guess from what I've been shown.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 20 of 40

If you guys need the advice of a Pro.... Let me know Smiley Surprised

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report