Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to created intersection line between 2 line projection - grading

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tehnicar
637 Views, 4 Replies

How to created intersection line between 2 line projection - grading

I have feature line with elevations that represents bottom of ditch and want to go UP 3:1 slope. also i have edge of road feature line that is higher than ditch  and want to go 2% down until it hits side of the ditch that is 3:1. could someone tell me the easiest way in civil 3d to create intersection line between ditch bottom going up 3:1 and edge of road going down 2%?

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: tehnicar

This can be handled by gradings. As long as gradings are in the same site they will interact with each other and form a featureline where they intersect.

All you need to do is create a grading down from the edge of road at 2% and a grading from the bottom of the ditch up at 3:1. I suggest you use a distance grading and specify a distance that ensures the 2 gradings will intersect each other.

Keep in mind that to make the road grading project DOWN you will specify a 2% FILL parameter. Likewise to make the ditch grading project UP you would specify a 3:1 CUT parameter.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil:

That interacting feature is somewhat new, I believe.  Posters should be willing to share their setup for proper information.

(... stepping down from podium..)

Bill

Message 4 of 5
jb82
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil, I have basically the same question as the original poster but I'm wondering if there is a way to find that intersection without using grading objects at all. If I just want to use spot grades/feature line grading without messing with grading objects, is there a way to find that point?

I thought I may have found the tool in Civil 3D to do this  (it's under "points -> create points -> high/low point") but I was not successful in using it. I gave it a low point on my surface, then a high point, then I gave it a positive slope coming up from the low point and a negative slope coming down from the high point, thinking that it would then give me the location of the point between where the two slopes intersect. Unfortunately, it didn't work, I think maybe because it wants the point in between to either be lower than both points or higher than both points and not in between somewhere? That's my best guess.

Anyway, any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Message 5 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: jb82

You can find the point using a featureline. Read the help topic: "To insert a High or Low Elevation Point on a Feature Line" under the "Grading"/"Editing Feature line Elevations" topic.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report