Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control plot style of blocks?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
csevers
3917 Views, 7 Replies

How to control plot style of blocks?

How do I control the plot style of blocks?

Say I draw some lines on layer "0" and use the "block" command to make a new block. Next, I insert that block I just made onto some layer "X".

I am using .stb.

How can I control the plot style of the block?

Also, if the block is used as a civil 3d object, say a pipes structure, where does the plot style in structure properties fit into the hierarchy?

I have tried changing all the following variables to no affect: layer "0" plot style, layer "X' plot style, object properties plot style, stucture style plot style 

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
csevers
in reply to: csevers

Basically, how can I control my blocks' plot style by layer?

OR

Why arn't my blocks' plot style controlled by layer eventhough that's how it's set in my properties?

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 3 of 8
AllenJessup

I don't use stb's but can you change the plot style to ByBlock?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
csevers

When I insert two blocks, put them on different layers, then freeze one of them, they both turn off. I don't know why.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 5 of 8
csevers
in reply to: AllenJessup

I need to adjust the color by viewport so that won't help, although I can use by block.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

You probably need to adjust the settings for Layfrz.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
troma

Generally, it is best to put all linework on layer 0 within blocks, as you say you are doing.  However, for use with structure styles (as I mentioned to you before) I find it best to make a block for each layer, with all the linework on that layer inside the block.  This way, when d-ref'd, the structures will hold their layer from the block.

I don't use stb either, so I can't comment on that.  And I agree with Allen's comment about the settings for the vpfreeze command.  Alternatively, are you sure that these blocks have internal entities on layer 0, or were they made from my previous advice on a specified layer?  That could be messing you up too.

Maybe someone familiar with stb can step in and help.  Is it colour dependant? I thought it wasn't....in which case changing the colour of the block per viewport isn't going to help you is it?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 8
csevers
in reply to: troma

No, but in .stb I can adjust plot style in all the same ways I can adjust the color.

I will check layfrz settings. I think the problem may be that some blocks were created on layer 0 and some were not. I previously only checked one and it was on 0. I will have to check each block individually.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report