Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add codes to subassembly links that do not have then already?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
ryan.mann9075
6934 Views, 27 Replies

How to add codes to subassembly links that do not have then already?

I am trying to figure out how to add "code" for labeling purposed to a link on a specific subassembly? How do I go about doing this? Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
el_nath
in reply to: ryan.mann9075

Depends on the link.  If you can, use the Properties pallete (generic links typically).  If the code for the link can't be modified, use MarkPoint and LinkToMarkedPoint to create a link (coded so that it's displays are off) over the link you wish to label.  Just make sure that the MarkPoint is generated before the LinkToMarkedPoint in the assembly, or the link won't know where to attach to and you'll get an error.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 28
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: el_nath

Hi, I'm a little slow grasping the use of marked point. I just tried what you describe but still do not understand the mechanism. Here is what I did as a trial; In layout mode, I placed a marked at the back of curb and grave it a name, then placed a link to marked point at the back of sidewalk how do I get the link to go to the marked point? I went to sub props and put the marked point name in the parameter, but nothing changed. Am I on the right track?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 28
el_nath

You seem to be almost there, however, this is how I'd go about it.

You should have your Properties pallete open at all times (if you have a double+ screen setup) and if that's not possible anchor it to either left or right, so that you can always access your object properties quickly.

For the Marked Point:

On the Properties Pallete>Advanced>Parameters>Point Name ... that is where you enter the name of the point.

For the Link to Marked Point:

On the Properties Pallete>Advanced>Parameters>Marked Name Point ... that is where you enter the name of the point to link to.

On the Properties Pallete>Advanced>Parameters>Link Codes ... that is where you enter the link code you want.

Remember, the point has to be created first in the assembly, before the link (although the naming and coding can be done after).  You will get an error when the link is generated before the point.

If your point is named (and the link references the point), and the link code is all configured to display the desired annotation (the visual display for the MarkedPoint and LinktoMarkedPoint can be turned off), then it should all work out.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 5 of 28

Thanks, those instructions helped and it is working for me! That is what I wanted.

Message 6 of 28
Joe-Bouza

It is official. I way too dense to get this. I tried - thanks for the explanation but I'll have to find someone that can hold my hand through the process. ..... I can't believe I'm that thick.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 28
el_nath

Don't give up Joe.  my instructions were quick and dirty, but complete.  I'll try to come up with a graphical set of instructions for you to use.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 8 of 28
Joe-Bouza

That would be very kind of you. And I'll keep pluggin

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 28
el_nath

Here is a visual guide to modifying the parameters of marked-points and link-to-marked-points.

Hopefully it helps.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, EIT

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 10 of 28
Joe-Bouza

Thank Nathan, I'll keep you posted Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 28
jeff_rivers
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, are your Marked Point and your LinkToMarkedPoint in the same assembly?  As far as I know you can't use LinkToMarkedPoint to connect one assembly to another assembly, or to connect between assemblies on different baselines within the same corridor. 

I struggled to figure it out too, and finally discovered that it would only work if both the MarkedPoint and the LinkToMarkedPoint were in the same assembly. 

I have some screenshots of the assembly and my finished corridor if that would help you visualize what's going on.  Nathan's screenshots of the properties windows are great - I wish I'd had those when I started.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 12 of 28
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jeff_rivers

That would be super Jeff, and yes that was my next question. The screen shot in help can lead one to believe you can link two different assemblies. And Nathans note are moving me along, too. I had been expecting to see the linking in layout mode - thats confusing to look at.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 28
el_nath

If you want two different assemblies, add an offset assembly.

But even with a Markedpoint in one assembly and the LinktoMarkedPoint in an offset assembly (or visa-versa), you still need to make the point before the link.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, EIT

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 14 of 28
jeff_rivers

Here are my screenshots, Joe.  First one is the layout view of my assembly, showing the marked point at the right end of the shoulder, next is a screenshot of how the assembly connects to the marked point to build the corridor model (I faked it for the illustration by just drawing the link as a red line).  Tip: Make a new marker style for the MarkedPoint, so that you can actually see it in the layout view.  I used a square instead of the magenta circle. 

Last is the corridor, seen in object viewer, with the LinkToMarkedPoint connecting up to the marked point on the shoulder.  It was in object viewer that I was able to confirm that the link was actually connecting to the marked point.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 15 of 28
Joe-Bouza

Great stuff cant wait to put it to use. I really appreciate all the effort you and Nathan put in to help me out.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 28
nilesh33

hi...

I have observed that for "LinkToMarkPoint" subassembly we can assign custon codes to only Point Codes, not to Link Codes even there is option available for this.

I have changed my Link Codes to custom name and Edited my CODE SET STYLE for IMPORT CODES.

There were no Customised link codes but Point codes were available.

Can you just check this once...

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Message 17 of 28
el_nath
in reply to: nilesh33

I believe that you may looking in the wrong place, I may be mistaken.  The link codes parameter in LinktoMarkedPoint is by default Top and Datum, however, you can change this to whatever you want.  There is no way edit the point codes in LinktoMarkedPoint because there are no point codes.  It seems to me that maybe you are confusing MarkedPoint with LinktoMarkedPoint?

Maybe you also be making the mistake of trying to us a LinktoMarkedPoint in one assembly to link to a MarkedPoint in another assembly?  You should be using an assembly offset (such as for a service road) so that the MarkedPoint and the LinktoMarkedPoint are all in the same assembly.

Does this help?

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 18 of 28
nilesh33

Hi,

Sorry I was talking about MarkPoint codes, its not about Points codes in LinkToMarkpoint subassembly.

Here I am still struggling with changing Link codes for "LinkToMarkpoint". I havnt spend much time on Codes but quite handy with subassembly properties.

I have attached one snap here for your review. Even I am following this procedure just take look at this,

I also in impression that I am doing some basic thing wrongly.

1. Open new dwg

2. Create new assembly or insert from "basic" palette.

3. Attach one mark point with name X

4. Attach one LinkToMarkpoint subassembly with link Codes "Test"

5. Assembly Properties >>> Codes >>> Edit Current Selection >>> Import codes ( selection by cross window and also with by picking subassembly>>>

6. Checking for link code "Test" in link codes.

and here there is no Custom Link Code "Test"

Just need your some valuable expertise here.

Message 19 of 28
nilesh33

Hey...I got solution for this issue

Actually I m not buliding corridor, and looking for Link codes, once corridor get build it Link will create and it will display in Code Set style.

Thanks for your valuable time for me.

Message 20 of 28
Joe-Bouza

Syd is an all time favorite of mine

cheers

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report