Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you will upgrade to 2013 immediately?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
deltacoolguy
852 Views, 13 Replies

How many of you will upgrade to 2013 immediately?

Got my link for the 2013 subscription upgrade this morning.

How many of you will upgrade immediately?

Normally, I wait a couple months, but I pretty much ignored 2012 and stayed with 2011, and am considering doing it now and getting it overwith.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: deltacoolguy

I'll be getting the CUI/customisations/template migrated over the next week or so and then run with 2013.  The 2012 release has been more stable than 2011 so hopefully 2013 with maintain this...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 14

It will be awhile for us since the file format changed (along with the API) we will have to recompile all our applications.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 14
Sinc

I never recommend an immediate upgrade, unless you are masochistic, like wfb...  🙂

But it can depend a lot on the size/extent of your projects, as well as the size of your company, and how many other tools you utilize in addition to C3D, and on how many other companies you work and share data with on a close basis.  So there's no hard-and-fast answer.

I typically jump to the latest version early for Sincpac-C3D testing.  But we typically wait until winter (or when work is the slowest) to roll out the latest release of C3D at Edward-James Surveying.  That gives the masochists (like Bill) time to fight all the major bugs, and we usually have SP1 available by then.  This past two years have been a bit of an exception, though...  We were really busy all through winter 2010-2011, then had a slow-down in June (very bizarre for Colorado).  So I ended up rolling out 2011 last summer, because I was too busy during the winter.  2011 proved to be a very bad release (IMHO), so I've now rolled out 2012, even though we're very busy again - 2012 is so much better than 2011 that it was worth taking time out to get it deployed.

Haven't yet been able to determine how good a release 2013 is.  But as a general rule, I would not be in a hurry to roll it out prematurely, ESPECIALLY with the DWG format change, and the yearly incompatibility, at least if you often work with other companies.  Nothing worse than trying to work with a company that hasn't yet upgraded...  Even worse, if you force them to move up to 2013 to stay compatible with you, and then things come back to bite both of you, YOU'RE the one who looks bad.

I know it's difficult to test a new release without rolling it out company-wide...  After all, in these days, who has time to waste, recreating existing projects in the latest release of C3D?  But it's definitely the safest course, at least if you intend on switching to C3D 2013 in the next few weeks (before there's time for community feedback from the masochists).  If you wait at least a month before rolling it out company-wide, you at least stand a good chance of finding solutions to major problems in the newsgroups/forums.  If you roll it out right now, then GOOD LUCK....

Sinc
Message 5 of 14
TerryDotson

Don't forget that once you save those drawings, they are useless to those running 2012, 2011, etc.

Message 6 of 14
cwitzel

We are a very small shop so I usually upgrade pretty quickly.  Sometimes I install on my computer for a couple of weeks of testing before rolling it out.

I may skip that this year as we just got a new computer for another designer.

My thinking right now is I will wait a bit and install 2012 on the new computer mainly for the GE stuff, which we use all the time.  In addition the Design Suite has not been released yet.

Conan Witzel

Windows 7 64 bit

Design Suite 2012

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 7 of 14
gauss2069

We always have 1 or 2 computers loaded immediately and assign some projects which will be used to test out behavior of software and any other changes. Once we are comfortable after a few weeks we just move on. Some new projects starting after this release will be started with new software. You got to have a few guinea pigs in every office! AutoCAD 3D as had better versions each year! We are dedicated users all the way.
Civil 3D x64 2013
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7-940XM
8 GB RAM
Quadro FX 5000M
Message 8 of 14
TCARCAMO78

I always wait a few weeks before I install it on everyones computers. While I'm waiting im running test on my work PC. 

tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com
Message 9 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: Sinc

I certainly would like to thank "sinc" for his kind remarks.  Working great so far, but since I don't have much going on, it is hard to tell.

Smiley Very Happy

Bill

Message 10 of 14
pserpas
in reply to: michael.robertson

Mike, is there a target date for that to happen, i.e., for a FDOT Statekit 2013 release?

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
8 GB Ram
Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.90 GHz
v. F.107.0.0 AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 SP1
Message 11 of 14
Sinc
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry wrote:

I certainly would like to thank "sinc" for his kind remarks. 

Smiley Very Happy

Bill

We actually really LIKE having masochists like you...  I'm sure Autodesk enjoys it even more.

Yep, I've now coined a new synonym...  "Autodesk Latest-Release Early-Adopter" = "Masochist"...  Just hope it also doesn't = "Insanity"...  Smiley Very Happy

Sinc
Message 12 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: Sinc

Would that give me an MBA?

Bill

Message 13 of 14
Sinc
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry wrote:

Would that give me an MBA?

Bill

Which one?  "Masochistic By Alot"?  "Mashochistic But Adorable"?  "Masochistic Bad-****"?

🙂

Sinc
Message 14 of 14
deltacoolguy

I want to be "cutting edge" (for a change), but the reminders of the wisdom of waiting are well-taken, too.

I'm going to go ahead and load and confogure it, but not fully commit new projects just yet.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report