Got my link for the 2013 subscription upgrade this morning.
How many of you will upgrade immediately?
Normally, I wait a couple months, but I pretty much ignored 2012 and stayed with 2011, and am considering doing it now and getting it overwith.
I'll be getting the CUI/customisations/template migrated over the next week or so and then run with 2013. The 2012 release has been more stable than 2011 so hopefully 2013 with maintain this...
It will be awhile for us since the file format changed (along with the API) we will have to recompile all our applications.
I never recommend an immediate upgrade, unless you are masochistic, like wfb...
But it can depend a lot on the size/extent of your projects, as well as the size of your company, and how many other tools you utilize in addition to C3D, and on how many other companies you work and share data with on a close basis. So there's no hard-and-fast answer.
I typically jump to the latest version early for Sincpac-C3D testing. But we typically wait until winter (or when work is the slowest) to roll out the latest release of C3D at Edward-James Surveying. That gives the masochists (like Bill) time to fight all the major bugs, and we usually have SP1 available by then. This past two years have been a bit of an exception, though... We were really busy all through winter 2010-2011, then had a slow-down in June (very bizarre for Colorado). So I ended up rolling out 2011 last summer, because I was too busy during the winter. 2011 proved to be a very bad release (IMHO), so I've now rolled out 2012, even though we're very busy again - 2012 is so much better than 2011 that it was worth taking time out to get it deployed.
Haven't yet been able to determine how good a release 2013 is. But as a general rule, I would not be in a hurry to roll it out prematurely, ESPECIALLY with the DWG format change, and the yearly incompatibility, at least if you often work with other companies. Nothing worse than trying to work with a company that hasn't yet upgraded... Even worse, if you force them to move up to 2013 to stay compatible with you, and then things come back to bite both of you, YOU'RE the one who looks bad.
I know it's difficult to test a new release without rolling it out company-wide... After all, in these days, who has time to waste, recreating existing projects in the latest release of C3D? But it's definitely the safest course, at least if you intend on switching to C3D 2013 in the next few weeks (before there's time for community feedback from the masochists). If you wait at least a month before rolling it out company-wide, you at least stand a good chance of finding solutions to major problems in the newsgroups/forums. If you roll it out right now, then GOOD LUCK....
Don't forget that once you save those drawings, they are useless to those running 2012, 2011, etc.
We are a very small shop so I usually upgrade pretty quickly. Sometimes I install on my computer for a couple of weeks of testing before rolling it out.
I may skip that this year as we just got a new computer for another designer.
My thinking right now is I will wait a bit and install 2012 on the new computer mainly for the GE stuff, which we use all the time. In addition the Design Suite has not been released yet.
Windows 7 64 bit
Design Suite 2012
I always wait a few weeks before I install it on everyones computers. While I'm waiting im running test on my work PC.
I certainly would like to thank "sinc" for his kind remarks. Working great so far, but since I don't have much going on, it is hard to tell.
Mike, is there a target date for that to happen, i.e., for a FDOT Statekit 2013 release?
Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.