Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Import asciitab file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
508 Views, 5 Replies

How Import asciitab file

Hello Everybody

i have a file with (.asciitab) extension and i want to import it into autocad civil 3d 2014.

is any body know how to manage that?

this file contine heigh curves for specific area and i want to build surface from it.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KirkNoonan
in reply to: Anonymous

If the file is in xyz format, or if you can make it so, then you can import it into your surface as a point file. If you want the lines/curves that the file represents in your surface instead, then you will need to create acutal cogo points from hte file and then create feature lines to add to your surface from those points. Not sure if Civil 3D will recognize a tab-delimited file. You might have to convert it to comma-delimited with excel first.

Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup

Can you post the file or a portion of it? By height-curves do you mean contours?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hello thanks for your replay

yes i mean contours, and this is the file.

i don't know how to open it or importet to autocad civile 3D

thanks

Message 5 of 6
AllenJessup

OK. That file does not contain contours. It contains points. And despite the misleading name, it's Space Delimited not Tab Delimited. There are not point numbers or descriptions. So you probably don't need to import the points since they would be meaningless. Instead - change the file extension to .TXT and attach the file to a Surface:

apf.PNG

One thing you need to know is the order of the coordinates. Since I don't know the system that they're in I don't know whether they're Northing - Easting or Easting - Northing. The third column is definitely the Elevation. You'll also have to know if they're Imperial or Metric.

I created a Surface with no problem that way. But without knowing the above. I can't tell if it's right. However. Since I imported it as Northing-Easting and I can tell there is a road along a coastline with at least one bridge. If I had to guess. I'd say that NEZ is the correct format. But don't base any design on my guess.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks alot
it work very fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report