Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you handle xrefs / data shortcuts?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
enderak
2706 Views, 6 Replies

How do you handle xrefs / data shortcuts?

So, I've been pulling my hair out trying to come up with a good solution to this...

We keep iterations of a project in separate folders, such as iteration 1 (30%), iteration 2 (75%), etc. and keep xrefs (e-site, p-site, etc) in a folder in each iteration. (These drawings also contain the surfaces, alignments, etc. shared via data shortcuts.) Using relative paths with our x-refs, no matter what iteration we open up, we are always looking at the xrefs associated with that iteration.

However, with data shortcuts, it seems there is no way to have relative paths. So when I copy my iteration 1 folder to make iteration 2, all the data shortcuts are still pointing at the files in the "iteration 1/xrefs" folder. I've tried using the Data Shortcuts Editor to edit the paths, but it just freezes up every time I try to change anything. The best I've come up with is renaming the xref folder in iteration 1, thereby prompting me choose the proper files under iteration 2 when I go to syncronize references.

The other option would be to have the xref folder on the same level as the iteration folders, and then when I new iteration is made, copy the current xref folder back into the old iteration, thereby preserving those files for the future. But then, if I go to open an old drawing, I have to juggle folders around.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, how does everyone else handle data shortcuts and xrefs in Civil 3D? Is there a better way I could be handling them, or some tips and tricks you can give me to make everything run smoother? We are using Civil 3D 2012, and we do not use Vault.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: enderak

Common problem with an easy solution. Stop copying your files to all these new folders. Only bad can become of it. Xrefs, shortcuts and all

Keep a "current" folder. This is where you make all your edits, nothing is ever copies to a new folder and. Then oipened.

At the submittal of an iteration, etransmit the files to a ZIP file and move that ZIP file to your iteration folders. These act as your backup. Etransmit saves the xref's and drefs into that ZIP. If you need em later you can grab em from the ZIP file.

Moving "current" files to new folders simply because you want their foilder to be calleds I2 etc make no sense to me in term of all of the problems it creates. I understand why you would want to do it but it's not worth it.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

Can you say that a little louder so the folks in my office can here. I'v been saying till I'm blue in the face.Smiley Wink

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

SO IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY....

🙂
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 7
JeffPaulsen

We essentially do the same thing Matt described. Only difference is we don't use ZIP files. We copy the files to an archive server after every submittal.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 6 of 7
Westhills
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

We are working on a 220ha land project here so I defiantly feel your pain. Using C3D 2012.

I have ended up dividing  our complete site into 3 manageable pieces/sectors. Each with its s own Shortcuts folder. The only common information between the three are a LIDAR file and some existing legal plans. These are pretty much set in stone so I  copied them to each of the sectors project folders. This does create some duplication but is necessary to make the large files manageable. ANd, since the will never change risk here is little to none.

For one sector as an example we have we have two iterations/concepts and are working on a third concept. Each with 1000ish lots and 20ish roads set up as a single concept file aka design base file. Each of the concept plans share the same basic xrefs and associated data : contours, existing legal, and existing infrastructure, ex trails and so on. So then, for our common data that needs to be shared we store shortcuts on a working folder for the entire sector so when we make any changes to those common files the result propagates through all iterations. Much like having a separate LDD project for each sector.  Each concept contains all the roads, corridors, surfaces, modeling etc. When we move past the concept stage for the sector, data shortcuts will be created. As we move through and divide the sector into smaller stages of 150 or so lots we can then draw on the adopted concept plan and use it as a master file where all the basic design info lives.

One thing I find important with a project this size is to be logical and methodical about naming conventions. Don't let C3D just cryptically number things. Use the old Who, What, When, Where, Why and How rules we all learned in grade six. I definitely makes life better when sorting through mountains of data. It also helps others to work on your projects that dot have the luxury of understanding an ambiguous numbering assignment.

Hope some of my rambling from left field helps.

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 7 of 7
enderak

Thanks for the tips. Using a "current" folder did occur to me a while back, I don't know why I didn't think of it again as I was writing my message. That sounds like a good solution. If anyone else has tips or examples of what they found works well, I would still love to see them too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report