Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you export a Civil 3D Surface to Agtek

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
wadeburcham4557
4378 Views, 13 Replies

How do you export a Civil 3D Surface to Agtek

Anyone know if you can export a Civil 3d Surface to Agtek?

Thanks,

Wade

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: wadeburcham4557

Does AGTEK utilize LandXML ?

Bill

Message 3 of 14
wadeburcham4557
in reply to: wfberry

I don't think so.

Message 4 of 14
Avera737

You can export a C3D surface to a .dem file.  Then you can use MicroDEM to convert the .dem file into a text file you can then import into Agtek.

MicroDEM can be found here: http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem/microdemdown.htm

Message 5 of 14

I've never used Agtek before so please take that into consideration as you read this.

First of all, double check and make sure Agtek can't bring in a LandXML file. That will be by far the easiest way to transfer the data.

If it can't, perhaps it will be able to read triangles in a .dwg. Assign a style to your surface that displays the triangles, select the surface and on the ribbon (I believe it's under Surface Tools as I don't have C3D on this computer) and choose Extract Objects. Extract the triangles and wblock them out to a different drawing.

If that doesn't work, I would be willing to bet that it can read contours in a drawing (this would be the least desirable method because all contours are a lie). Do the same as I suggested for the triangles except extract the contours.

Hope this helps.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 14

Yep, doesnt' accept landxml and I'm a little concerned about the microdem due to all the talk about viruses.  Can't believe there is not a good way to export to the Agtek

Message 7 of 14

wadeburcham4557 wrote:

Can't believe there is not a good way to export to the Agtek

What kind of vector formats is your Agtek release able to import?

Message 8 of 14

Doesn't import vectors.  I was told by their tech support that the import file is basically a point file.  You could probably make a point grid, but the descriptions would be guess work. 

Message 9 of 14

Looks like out could import text point file if i could figure out the descriptions Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
Message 10 of 14
SoftEarth

I don't have direct experience with Civil 3D, but I do have a couple of ideas that you might pursue ...

(1)  Although AGTEK can't directly import a LandXML file, I seem to remember hearing that AGTEK developed a LandXML conversion utility that their tech support department uses to convert data to an AGTEK-readable format.  You may want to ask AGTEK support specifically about such an option.

(2)  If you can export your C3D surface trimesh (as 3D faces or polylines?) to a dwg file, you should have no problem importing it directly into AGTEK (depending on which AGTEK product you're actually using).

Hope that helps!

Michael Cope

Authorized AGTEK Software Training

Earthwork Software Services, LLC

www.EarthworkSoftwareServices.com

Michael Cope
Message 11 of 14
wadeburcham4557
in reply to: SoftEarth

1)  We spent quite a bit of time with AGTEK Support about this, and the person we were talking to (who seemed very knowledgeable) wasn't aware of any utility.

2) That didn't seem to work either.

I have a work around, but it's a frustrating one.  Basically I create pionts along the 3dpoly lines every 1' or so.  Export the points to a text file, and import them into AGTEK

Message 12 of 14
SoftEarth

Wade,

I was just speaking with someone at AGTEK and I mentioned your issue.  The person I spoke with told me that AGTEK support has a seat of C3D and support should be able to get your surface into AGTEK ... but they suggested that rather than trying to get the C3D DTM into AGTEK the solution might be to export C3D's breaklines and other 3D linework to DWG, then import that into AGTEK and let AGTEK generate the TIN.  I don't know who you spoke with in tech support, but I'm told Greg Klose is the AGTEK technician most familiar w/ C3D--perhaps you should upload your C3D data file(s) to Greg's attention and see if he can come up with a series of steps that will work for you.

Michael Cope
Message 13 of 14

Thanks that information helps a lot! [Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\CLThompson 0_4inch 2011.jpg] Wade Burcham, P.E., LEED AP BD+C Senior Engineer thompsonengineering 251.604.8006(c) I 251.378.6118(o) I 251.666.6422(f) wburcham@thompsonengineering.com 2970 Cottage Hill Road, Suite 190, Mobile, Alabama 36606 www.thompsonengineering.com
Message 14 of 14
SoftEarth

My pleasure ... I hope you will post the specific steps here once you have the details worked out!

Michael Cope

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report