Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I edit feature line elevations in profile view?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jamesbarnett
3850 Views, 12 Replies

How do I edit feature line elevations in profile view?

Guys,

I have spent hours looking at books and websites and I just can't wrap my head around it. I have a finished grade surface and I have a feature line that is my waterline. I created an alignment and then recreated my feature line so they would be linked. I can then create a profile using my alignment and that shows my surface at that alignment. I can even add the waterline by using project objects to profile view. 

I need to be able to edit the feature line elevations in the profile view by creating and erasing PVIs so this will tie back to my geometry.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sboon
in reply to: jamesbarnett

You can change the elevations of existing feature line points in the profile view but you cannot add or delete them there.  You'll have to add elevation points using the tools, in plan view then shift them up and down on the profile.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 13
Aistis88

http://ideatesolutions.blogspot.com/2009/04/creating-profile-from-feature-lines.html

Maybe it will help you .

In your place i would create profile from feature line using work around.

Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

If you start with an alingment and profile you can creae the FL from alignment and it would be dynamic to the profile
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 13
jamesbarnett
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I have a dynamic feature line tied to the alignment already. I need to be able to put PVIs in at specific stations to go under creeks and roads so I can get my vertical deflections in. It would be so much easier to do that if I could see the breaks of my surface on the profile and then place my breaks on my waterline. Or how can I get the software to show me a real-time stationing as I move up and down the profile?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 6 of 13
Joe-Bouza

If the FL is tied to the alignment then it is tied to a profile in that alignment. I assume the profile is a surface profile and this is why you see no way to adjust. You can only adjust Layout profiles. So if your profile is a surface type you would either convert it to static or create a layout and change the assingment of the dynamic link. Then you could adjust freely
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 13
fcernst

Or how can I get the software to show me a real-time stationing as I move up and down the profile?

Station Tracker on the Analyze panel.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 13
jamesbarnett
in reply to: fcernst

When I click on Station Tracker I get no informatio using the current or all viewport. 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 9 of 13
fcernst

Sorry, I don't have 2012 anymore, so I am unable to comment if it is working in that version.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 13
jamesbarnett

Apparently the tracker is working, but it does me no good because I was looking for a display of some sort, not  a line running up and down my Alignment. 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 11 of 13
fcernst

If I pause moving my cursor, the alignment and profile information appears.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 13
jamesbarnett

I kept playing around with the Inquiry Tool and I think Profile View Station and Elevation at Point is the best tool for what I am doing. It lets me click on the point in the profile and then gives me the station and elevation. I can then use that info in my elevation editor and change up elevations or move my PIs where I need them.

Thanks guys for the help.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 13 of 13
fcernst

It lets me click on the point in the profile and then gives me the station and elevation. I can then use that info in my elevation editor and change up elevations or move my PIs where I need them.

Now you are just needlessly creating extra steps for yourself...

When you insert a new PVI by clicking on the Profile through the geometry editor, it will use the station and elevation from the Profile at that point automatically. You don't need to cut and paste from the Inquiry Tool.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report