Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete a breakline and keep it in the drawing?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
JeffPaulsen
4028 Views, 10 Replies

How do I delete a breakline and keep it in the drawing?

I have a feature line in my drawing. It is one of over 1000 breaklines in a surface. I want to delete it from the surface but keep it in the drawing. How do I do this?

In 2009 this was easy. I could erase the featue line then use the OOPS command to get it back in the drawing. Unlike the UNDO command, OOPS did not put it back in the surface definition. This was a wonderful feature/bug. In 2012 OOPS behaves the same as UNDO.

I found this post regarding finding a breakline in the surface definition but that is not realistic with 1000 breaklines.

Here are a few options I have tried:

• Delete all breaklines from the surface and add the ones I want. (This is my best option so far.)
  • Copy the featureline to the clipboard, erase it, then paste it back in. (Copying feature lines to the clipboard, or wblock, is very slow. The feature line should be moved back to the orignal site.)
  • Explode the feature line into a 3D polyline and then convert back into a feature line. (Good option but does not work well for curves.)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

LIST the featureline. AT the end of the Listing will be the Breakline info for it....Surface, and either the name you gave it or the name autogenerated. This should allow you to quickly find it in the surface breaklines.

Elevation : 111.900'
Grade : 0.00%
Breakline Data : Phase1-FG, Breakline set3: 3

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
jmayo-EE

I have not seen oops behave like undo in 2012. I still delete breaklines that way.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
GZE
Advocate

sorry for asking, what is the abbreviation of 'oops'
Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 5 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: GZE

There needs to be a way to remove featurelines from a surface via graphical selection sets. Let's make some wishes folks.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Remove-breaklines-from-surface-by-selection-se...

"OOPS"=UNDO

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

I would check your settings. I just deleted 5 breaks with erase. Brought them back into the file with oops and they did not go back into the surface definition. I have been doing this daily for about a month since we moved up.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Messages 2 and 3 above are both solutions to the problem.

Per Jeff_m:

If the breakline is a feature line you can LIST the feature line and determine the breakline set and number and delete it from the definition.

Per John M:

The  OOPS command works the same as it did in 2009. You can erase the breakline and bring it back with the OOPS command.

The OOPS command is working for me now. It was not two days ago. I even verified it with a coworker who saw it being added back into the surface to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 8 of 11
tyronebk

Neil is incorrect when saying "OOPS" = UNDO.

From the help:
OOPS restores objects erased by the last ERASE command.

This is only sometimes the same as UNDO. So if you've made a bunch of changes to a drawing and realize that you've deleted an object, the OOPS command will restore the object without having to undo all of the changes.

As to the original question, could you not just have copied with basepoint the breakline to the clipboard (ctrl+shift+C), erased it, then pasted it back into the drawing (and move it back to the original site since the paste will have created a duplicate site)?
Message 9 of 11
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: tyronebk

Yes, I could copy and paste it but that is very slow on my computer and I would still have to move it to the correct site.

Erase and Oops is the way to go. I can't explain why it wasn't working for the other day. I just hope it continues to work.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 10 of 11
Neilw_05

So per Allen Jessup's post last week, is OOPS a solution or a workaround?

What might the C3D help file say on this "solution" if it were to be documented?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 11
sobhani_sh

This question is from longe time ago. I just reply for those have the same problem.

You can:

1- copy those breaklines into clipboard by Copy With Base Point command (Ctrl+Shift+C)

2- then delete the breaklines from drawing with AutoCAD command which removes them from surface.

3- then paste the copied objects into drawing (Ctrl+V) it asks for base point, select the same bease point selected for copy.

4- these pasted objects are not breakline.

Shahrokh

SNC-Lavalin Inc.

Toronto, Canada

Shahrokh Sobhani
Civil Engineer
SNC Lavalin Inc.,
Toronto, Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report