Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Fix isn't very hot!

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
sheriff12
1940 Views, 20 Replies

Hot Fix isn't very hot!

Five minutes ago I installed the latest hot fix. Now, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 won't work at all. As soon as I open the program and then try to open a file the system completely shuts down. Everything was working fine until two days ago. Then it wouldn't open the files and said to type in the file name on the command line. When I would do this, it always said file could not be located. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, have an nVidea GTX 570 card, and an AMD Phenom II CPU. Has anyone else installed this new HOT FIX and have the same problem? Thanks for any and all suggestions. I'm hoping I don't have to uninstall and reinstall again.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Ajilal.Vijayan
in reply to: sheriff12

setting FILEDIA to 1 can help you to get the file browser dialog back instead of asking from command line.
Message 3 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

Can you be a little more specific? Where do I type FILEDIA, and what do I set to 1? I assume that I type FILEDIA in the command line but what do I set to 1, and where is it? Sorry to sound like a dweeb but I am completely unfamiliar with the workings of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014. Thank You!

Message 4 of 21
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

When you type FILEDIA at the command line, you will be prompted for a value which is currently 0 (off), 1 will turn it on. As for the other issue, I've installed the hotfix without issue.  Have you tried running a Repair of your install?  From Control Panel > Programs > Select C3D 2014 and choose the Uninstall/Change option at the top.  A dialog box will then appear and you can Repair the installation.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thank you for clearing things up.  I don't know why the HOT FIX would have caused these additional problems, but I will try the repair suggestion. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 21
neilyj666

Sometimes FILEDIA gets reset to 0 after a crash

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 21
dgorsman
in reply to: neilyj666

More precisely, the value gets set to 0 during an operation and should be reset to the previous value at the end of the operation.  If a crash occurs partway, then it *should* handle that and still restore the previous value.  But not everything does that, especially with code samples from the internet (to keep the example uncluttered), conflicts with custom error handlers.  This can also happen with unexpected errors in AutoCAD products where that portion of the error handler isn't reached.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: dgorsman

Sorry to say, but I had to give up trying your solution. The program refused to respond. I finally just went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled. Now, hopefully I won't have the same problem again. Everything seems to be working fine on the reinstall. Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 21
sheriff12

Just to say thanks for your help. But, I had to end up uninstalling and reinstalling the program to get it to work. Thanks again!

Message 10 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thanks for the advice! But, I had to finally uninstall and reinstall to get the program to work.

Message 11 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling to get the program to work properly. Thanks for your advice.
Message 12 of 21
troma

Just out of interest, did you reinstall the hotfix?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 13 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: troma

I really don't know. It was never offered as an option.

Message 14 of 21
tcorey

The hotfix won't be offered as an option during a re-install. You should add that manually, the same as you did the first time.

Adding the hotfix did not cause your Filedia issue and you overreacted by doing an uninstall and re-install if that's the only problem you were trying to fix.

For future reference, if the file dialog does not appear but you are prompted for a filename on the command line, hit escape a few time. At the command prompt, type Filedia and press enter. At the prompt that says Enter new value for FILEDIA <0>: type 1 and press Enter.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 15 of 21
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

Simply add (setvar "FILEDIA" 1) to your acaddoc.lsp and never be troubled by it again...:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: tcorey

The first time I installed "HOT FIX", it was suggested by an email or a pop up, I'm not sure which. Can I access the "FIX" on the Autodesk web site?

Message 17 of 21
sheriff12

Sorry to appear to be an idiot, but I have no idea how to do what you suggest. Is acaddoc.isp in my files under the AutoCAD Civil 3D? Also, where would "setvar" be in relation to the acaddoc.isp? Thanks for your help in getting a newbie up and running!

Message 18 of 21
troma

Here's some background information

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 19 of 21
sheriff12
in reply to: troma

I appreciate your patience. Thanks!
Message 20 of 21
neilyj666

Create a text file using notepad or similar and just type the line as described (see screenshot for my acaddoc.lsp file) and save to a folder (C:\AutoLisp in my case)

Ensure that C:\Autolisp (or whatever you decide) is in the Support File path under Options (and you may need to add this folder to Trusted Locations as well)

Restart Civil 3D

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report