Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal Curve Profile

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Jstar01
865 Views, 8 Replies

Horizontal Curve Profile

I am a land development engineer and we are designing an internal subdivision roadway...We are cutting plan/profile sheets for the roadway. We have an alignment and a feature line created from the alignment with the proposed grades. We created a proposed grading surface and therefore created the surface profile showing the profile grade line. The problem we are having is that the horizontal curves are showing like 50 PVI points on the surface profile. The line is displayed correctly but all of the points make it difficult to use the labeling styles even with weeding. The roadway segments which are lines are look good its just the curves. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
NathanBee
in reply to: Jstar01

Create Profile by layout?? With curves...?

Are you using corridors???

Nathan Bartholomew | CAD/Civil Designer | CPG New Zealand Ltd
WELLINGTON | AUCKLAND | NEW ZEALAND
A Downer EDI company.
Message 3 of 9
Jstar01

I am not using the corridor function. Its just a feature line created from an alignment which was added to the proposed surface as a breakline. It appears to be a PVI spacing issue but I don't know how to change the spacing or turn it off completely. I would like to have it display just the grade breaks and horiztonal control points (PC, PT of curve).

Attached is an example of the issue I'm having.
Message 4 of 9
keithknifer

Are you talking about the vertical curves not horizontal? Since your refering to a profile, I assume that's what you meant. The feature line will be tesselated to simulate the vertical curves creating multiple PVIs. Horizontal curves shouldn't create a problem. If you create an actual profile, it will behave as you expect.
Message 5 of 9
Jstar01

The issue I am having is not a vertical curve issue.... its that Civil3d is putting like 50 PVI points on my profile grade line in locations where a horizontal curve exists. All the PVI points are like in 5' increments located along the line in profile. Its causing a problem with labeling in profile view....weeding doesn't work, they points are too close together. Think of it like this...i have a line that should read 200.00' @ 1.00%...instead I have 20 labels reading 5.00' @ 1.00%.
Message 6 of 9
NathanBee

You say in your original post:
"We have an alignment and a feature line created from the alignment with the proposed grades."

This implies that you have created a surface from grading objects. If that is indeed the case, then what is showing up in your profile view (a profile created from your surface) is what the software is programmed to do.

My suggestion is to, for a better turn of phrase, "fake it". Create a Profile by Layout to match your current one, and then in Profile View Properties in the Profiles tab, untick your problem surface in the Draw column.

That is unless you want to keep your design dynamic. In that case - corridors.

What version of C3D are you running BTW?

Nathan
Message 7 of 9
castled071049

In the future, you should use corridors to model roadways. You will not have this PVI overkill problem, your results will be dynamic and easy to manipulate/revise, labeling is effortless, etc. Weeding out the PVIs in your current situation is fine through vertical tangents, but in vertical curves you are hosed. As one poster says, faking it with a profile by layout would be the fastest way at this point.
Message 8 of 9
Jstar01

We are running Civil3d 2010. I am new to civil3d and self taught, so the help is much appreciated. I will look into using the corridors.

Thanks for all the help.
Message 9 of 9
castled071049

Autocad has some good tutorials on corridors... I would start there. It's a very powerful road modeling package, especially if you have intersections (more so with 2010 and higher).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report