Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hill Excavation Volume; 2 slopes

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
CyrusLSteele
836 Views, 7 Replies

Hill Excavation Volume; 2 slopes

I have a project where we are excavating fill for our project from a nearby hill, which we have to leave in a certain condition when finished.

The portion we can excavate from, is bounded by a creek at the base of the hill, and a sewage pipe ROW running through the hill. What I would like to do is have Civil3D build a surface from the 15ft contour running beside the creek at 1% grade up hill, until it intersects with a 3:1 slope coming down from the edge of the ROW.

What is the simplest way to get civil to find the intersection of the two grades.

I have extracted the contour and converted to a feature line, and I have a feature line created showing our upper boundary as well.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgordon
in reply to: CyrusLSteele

I would create a surface using the contour line and a feature line which is well past the other slope condition. then just daylight to the newly made surface with the other feature line.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 8
CyrusLSteele
in reply to: dgordon

That's how I intitially calculated it, but my volume was showing a fill of 40 cubic m, causing a change in my net cut number. My design surface should be completely below mt existing ground, so I was concerned that that method may not have been giving me accurate numbers. Any idea why I would being seeing this extra material?

Surface was defined using extracted contour, upper boundary featureline, and my grading line as breaklines.

Message 4 of 8
dgordon

maybe the initial slope was up instead of down or vice versa. happens all the time in grading. check the elevations of the initial surface created after applying the design slope.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 5 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Are you certain the existing slope from the ROW is flatter that 3:1?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
doni49

Can you post your dwg file?  What version are you using?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 8
CyrusLSteele

I found the issue, one of the PI's on my upper feature line had a wrong elevation.
Message 8 of 8
CyrusLSteele

I had to turn on shaded views to see where the fill was coming up through my surface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report