Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting out the alignment or points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1328 Views, 5 Replies

Help with setting out the alignment or points

Hi

I see that Neilw asked about exporting alignment and profile to the data collector. My problem is this. We use Trimble Links to send data to our data collector and that is fine, but the surveyor cant stake out the points or anything. We can see the info is in the data collector,  but how do you set out anything. Is there a setting maybe on the TSC2 that we are overlooking? We have Civil 3D 2012. Thank you.

John Anderson

25 W 4th Street

900CHA

Saint Paul Mn 55102

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure what you're asking here...

Once you export the aligment/profile to your Trimble data collector, you field surveyor should be able to stake out ANY station/offset...  And if you use the "Export Roads" option from TrimbleLink, you should be able to do even more...

I think clarification of your question is needed...  Maybe your field surveyors don't know how to use their equpment....?  It's impossible to tell from your question.

Sinc
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

John,

I too use the Trimble Link and we run with TSC2. 

I have noticed that the Trimble Link software works fine with the TSC2 for alignments, roads, and profiles. It does not work well with point data.

So for alignments and profiles I will use Trimble Link, but for point data, I export the data from C3D 2012 into a .csv point file, and then I use Trimble Data Transfer Utility to send the .csv file to the data collector.

Once sent to the data collector, in your job under files, you can import a fixed file format into your job, selecting the .csv file on the data collector itself.

This has seemed toi be the best method for us. Trimble's software is extremely lacking, to be blunt.

Hope this helps.

-owenmull

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc

You had hit it right on the money. We found out that it was operator error, to a point. I see from another post, from Owenmull that there still might be a little error with the program. I am sorry for the late post as I am having some health issues. I really appreciate your post Sinc and also yours Owenmull. I work for a city and although we have used Civil 3D for a couple of years, we are just now using it as it should be.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Owenmull

I thank you for your Post. As my other Post to Sinc says, it was mostly operator error out in the field We will try that on my new job.

Message 6 of 6
Sinc

Yes, we also typically use CSV files to dump out Point Data.  Trimble Link works pretty well though for Alignments, Profiles, and Surfaces. It's then possible for the field guy to use a Station/Offset and Surface elevation to stake out any point he wants, or go to any point and shoot it and see how far the existing grade is above/below the Surface.  It can be quite useful in some situations.  Most-often, though, we use the Alignment/Profile dump for utility lines.  That way, if the field surveyor gets out there and discovers a mess on the construction site, he can flip on-the-fly from a 10' OS to a 20' OS (for example), or flip the offsets to the other side of the line, or whatever he needs to do.

We occasionally also use it to dump out Roads (Corridors in C3D, which get turned into as many Templates as necessary to get them into Trimble data collectors).  There's some complications there, however, and we don't use that option quite as often.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report