Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Pipe Rules is not working

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
sunny_hlwong
4190 Views, 19 Replies

Help! Pipe Rules is not working

I have set the pipe rules, and I have a surface to work on my network.

Whenever I put in my Pipe Network with the particular rules (specially cover level rule), it is not working at all.
I was told that pipe rules will apply when you draw them on the surface (related) automatically, but apparently it is not on mine. ><
This is driving me mad... when I realised the rule is not applied automatically at all, while I am like 90% completion of my design.
Even I used "Apply Rule" command, it is not changing at all....

Can anyone give me any suggestion/ advice? please ~

Many thanks in advance!
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Did you assign a surface to the pipe in the Pipe Properties?

Christopher
Message 3 of 20
sunny_hlwong
in reply to: sunny_hlwong

I did assign surface before I start creating pipe network.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

What Civil 3D Version are you using?

--
Mark Spatz, P.E.
C3D 2009, SP3.0 \ Vault 09
Dell Laptop, 2GHtz, 4Gb Ram, XP SP3

Herbert, Rowland & Grubic, Inc.
[ BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS.
DESIGNING SOLUTIONS. ]
Message 5 of 20
sunny_hlwong

Civil 3d 2010 with SP2.
Message 6 of 20
annw2

Run a profile along the pipe. The rules may be working, but you have a sharp vertical bend or on a sag curve that is more or less correctly dropping your pipe inverts.

Or are the pipes coming out above surface or too shallow?
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 7 of 20
scottkent

sunny_hlwong, can you please send me the file and I will take a look. scott.kent@autodesk.com

Thx.

Scott Kent P.E.
Autodesk, Inc.
Test Development Analyst/Rapid Response Engineer
AEC Division
Autodesk Civil 3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Civil Engineering Community Portal: http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com
Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II
Infrastructure Collaboration Products

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 8 of 20
sunny_hlwong

My surface average level around 584m, but some of my pipes accidentally dropped to -0.171m (typical level happened a lot around)

I was only drawing them with pipe only. It doesn't seem that "creating pipe network" will apply pipe rules for me.
My pipe rules set at 0.9m - cover onl, for min. and max.
Message 9 of 20
scottkent

sunny_hlwong,

The problem is that you have null structures and you are trying to apply rules that are intended for junction structures. If you want your pipes to connect at each null structure, you need to delete ‘pipe drop across structure’ from the structure rule set and add ‘pipe to pipe match’ to your pipe rule set.

Scott Kent P.E.
Autodesk, Inc.
Test Development Analyst/Rapid Response Engineer
AEC Division
Autodesk Civil 3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Civil Engineering Community Portal: http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com
Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II
Infrastructure Collaboration Products

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 10 of 20

Hi,

I am having a similar problem to this, I hope you can help.

I have drawn 3 drainage networks in Civil 3D 2013. Prior to drawing the networks, I created a parts list and rules sets suitable for my sewer network. The network object reference was/is set to a suitable surface.

Initially, all seemed to be going well, and the networks were being constructed in a suitable manor. I had to make some adjustments where more than 2 pipes entered one structure, which is ok.

Overnight, it seemed that the rules were no longer being applied. I used 'APPLYRULES' on the network to try and get the network back in order. This seemed to make things worse! Now when I draft a new network or apply the rules I created, they seem to make no difference.

There have been instances where the network table lists a pipe with the correct gradient, but when I open the pipe properties, the gradient is shown as zero. Then, if I export the network to SSA, I read a different grade again! 3 Grades for the same pipe!

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Message 11 of 20
ScotBIM

... wow - four years between postings of this issue - was there ever a workaround published for this???

Message 12 of 20
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: ScotBIM

Scott -

There was a solution provided by Scott Kent on 10/2009.

"The problem is that you have null structures and you are trying to apply rules that are intended for junction structures. If you want your pipes to connect at each null structure, you need to delete ‘pipe drop across structure’ from the structure rule set and add ‘pipe to pipe match’ to your pipe rule set."

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 20

Hi,

As far as I can see there are no null structures in my network.

Taking 'pipe drop across structure’ out of the rules appears to work for the majority of a smaller network, but once I open the pipe properties and close them again, the error comes back. 'Rule applies to pipe only runs'

Adam

Message 14 of 20

Adam -

I assume you selected a single structure to apply the rule to?

A pipe drop accross structure has to be applied to at least a pipe-structure-pipe run for it to "latch" onto the pipes since it manipulates the pipes, not the structure.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 15 of 20

Hi,

I applied the rules to a full pipe run, approximately 20 elements.

Adam

Message 16 of 20

I am Also having the Same Problem.. Some parts of my Network, the Rule Applies, But Some does not.. 😞

I attached A Screen Shot of My Network. 

Pipe Rule does not Work on Some Parts

The Left Side is the Network which the Rule Set Works...

Why is this??? Still no Updates for this?

Working on C3D 2015

Message 17 of 20
jclcereno
in reply to: jclcereno

More also, When I use the Create Networks from Object.. It won't Follow the Rule Set...

Message 18 of 20

I just want my pipe to draw between the max/min cover.  I didn't have a rule set for drop across a structure because I want it to be none, but tried adding a rule and setting max/min drop to 0 - same result: all pipes/structures come in at -5.5'

Message 19 of 20
GARY
in reply to: scottkent

I came across this post and wanted to share another reason why your pipe rule are not working.

it shouldn't matter what version of civil 3d you have.

I'm taking it that you setup your rules like anyone else would. 

Then I will assume you applies this rule to your Network Parts List. meaning when you created your parts you assigned that rule to those items.

Next you started designing your pipe network, doing all of the common stuff. IE assigned a surface, an alignment...

after drawing your pipes you noticed that the rules where not working ?

if this is correct then open your TOOLSPACE Settings 

expand Pipe Network/Pipe/Pipe Rule Set

you should see your pipe rule here. important, does your rule have that orange triangle? if not then it means your rule is not being used. 

if it does have that orange triangle it may mean its not being used for your pipe network.

lets go examine your pipes.

go to your prospector tab

expand Pipe Network/Networks/ then your network

click on pipes

look for RULE SET in the header, if not there then right click on the header and added it.

once RULE SET appears in the header. it will either be blank, have your rule or another rule being displayed.

right click on that header "RULE SET" then EDIT and select your rule you need. 

go back to your drawing and re-apply your rule to the pipes. 

sometimes even if your have rules assigned to your pipes they may not be assigned and you have to force the rule to your parts as described above.  

if its still doesn't work create a new rule and make it simple then repeat the steps above until you discover the problem.

for a rule to work it needs to be assigned to your pipes/structures, and surface. make sure your surface layer is not off/frozen.

hope this helps someone. 

Message 20 of 20
jwilliamsZRQUC
in reply to: GARY

surface being unfroze or displaying shouldn't matter but certainly make sure a surface is selected in the default object reference for your network and that you start your network "under" your surface - if you start beyond the limits of your surface, everything seems to reference zero elevation 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report