AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
xgeneration
Message 1 of 7 (405 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help Needed: Creating Points Displaying Cut/Fill Depth between Two Surfaces

405 Views, 6 Replies
10-18-2013 09:36 AM

Hi, I created a volume surface between the as-built and design surfaces, now I would like to show the points that display the cut/fill depths between these two surfaces.  I tried modifying the surface property of that volume surface but doesn't seem to offer what I want.  Does anyone know how to do it?  I know isopach may be the way to go but never had done it.

Thanks.

I don't see a screenshot either but I am going to GUESS you are looking for red cut and green fill text (seems to be the standard request.  Here is a link to a Being Civil blog that goes thru the process:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/color-cutfill-surface-labels.html

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Ryan

Active Contributor
Avera737
Message 2 of 7 (380 Views)

Re: Help Needed: Creating Points Displaying Cut/Fill Depth between Two Surfaces

10-18-2013 11:53 AM in reply to: xgeneration

Sounds like you've created a TIN Volume Surface already, and that would be the first step.  Next you just need to add elevation lables.  Up to you how you want to do that.  If you want actual text labels, just do elevation labels on a grid.  The elevations of the TIN Volume Surface will be + or - the required fill or cut.

You could also create a surface style which shades ranges of cut and fill.

If you need more assistance let us know.

Contributor
xgeneration
Message 3 of 7 (373 Views)

10-18-2013 12:01 PM in reply to: Avera737

Sorry I just realized I forgot to include the attachement.  I would like to display like this.  Using two colours to distinct cut and fill as well.

Active Contributor
Avera737
Message 4 of 7 (364 Views)

10-18-2013 12:06 PM in reply to: xgeneration

No attachment but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Go to your surface style, you'll want to edit (or create a new style) that displays "Elevations."  Once that is set select the surface and go to properties.  On the analysis tab select "Elevations" as the analysis type.  Change "Number of ranges" to 2.  Make one range negative to zero and one zero to positive (whatever the default lowest value and highest value are).  Change the colors to whatever is desired.

Let me know how you make out.

Valued Contributor
rnoyes
Message 5 of 7 (350 Views)

10-18-2013 01:35 PM in reply to: xgeneration

I don't see a screenshot either but I am going to GUESS you are looking for red cut and green fill text (seems to be the standard request.  Here is a link to a Being Civil blog that goes thru the process:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/color-cutfill-surface-labels.html

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Ryan

Active Contributor
Avera737
Message 6 of 7 (348 Views)

10-18-2013 01:44 PM in reply to: rnoyes

I don't want to hijack the original subby's post, but that's a great link.  Thanks for the tip, Ryan.

Contributor
xgeneration
Message 7 of 7 (308 Views)

10-21-2013 11:03 AM in reply to: rnoyes

Yes this is what I need! thank you very much!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!