AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 11 of 18 (519 Views)

Re: Help, need to create a boundary around a mass of scattered points...

10-28-2011 01:15 PM in reply to: coburnj

Hi,

>> but there is still plenty editing to do

And that's why I mentioned  "what is the rule to make it better?"  It's an awesome job to get the rules defined, because you will always find situations where the border should use another connection as it did. 

And to prove this theory look at this picture, is the blue or the red version the "correct border" (both based on the same point-locations)? I don't know it, how should a software check whats better and what not?

What I know: the version of Civil (with the option of max. triangle-edge-length) is quite good!

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
coburnj
Message 12 of 18 (515 Views)

10-28-2011 01:30 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm not too sure what you mean by "rules"...

What I'd like to see:

initiate a command;

prompt to "pick a point" within the group (typically the user would click their curser or cross-hair in the middle of the grouping);

the routine then starts a polyline on the point furthest away from the "pick-point";

the next part of the routine would create a second vertice of the polyline on the next closest point to that vertice that is furthest away from the first "pick point";

continuing around the perimeter and finishing on the first vertice and closing the polyline...

...something to that effect...

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 13 of 18 (511 Views)

10-28-2011 01:46 PM in reply to: coburnj

Hi,

>> I'm not too sure what you mean by "rules"

I meant a list of definitions for different situations that makes it possible for a developer to find through all situations to build the outline. And imho it's not possible to create definitions that work in every case (bad for a developer to have no regulation to follow).

>> What I'd like to see: initiate a command; [...]

I must admit that my english is not good enough to follow your description in detail (especially I don't understand the part with the second point, most far away from the start-point).

I showed two examples above, lets start at the lower left point. What would help me (or any other interested in algorythms) would be:

• imagine you have a textlist (no graphical display) with x/y coordinates
  • search the point with minimum-x/minimum-y to get the start-point
  • ....and what are now your thoughts to find the next point that builds up the border (and does this concept work for any situation, for all next following points)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
coburnj
Message 14 of 18 (506 Views)

10-28-2011 02:58 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

By no means am I a programmer, and with that being said I need to visualize the routine graphically...I don't know how to respond...

I really do appreciate your efforts tho...

coburnj
Message 15 of 18 (502 Views)

10-28-2011 03:07 PM in reply to: coburnj

From Carlson Software:

"Shrinkwrap: introducing a Carlson feature, which creates a closed polyline, that encloses a given set of entities to be used in various other routines for inclusion or exclusion of entities."

if anyone has used this new feature, this is what I need in Civil3D 2012...

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 16 of 18 (497 Views)

10-28-2011 03:57 PM in reply to: coburnj
Civil 3D has a shrinkwrap tool. It doesn't work with points. Does the Carlson tool?

I'm pretty sure we all know what you want. Point is, there is no tool for it in C3D. Terry offered his tool. Buy it if the surface suggestions do not suit your needs. (Assuming Terry's tool does).
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Distinguished Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 17 of 18 (493 Views)

10-28-2011 05:27 PM in reply to: mathewk

Civil 3D has a shrinkwrap tool.  It doesn't work with points.  Does the Carlson tool?

The question for Carlson would be "does it work inside Civil3D with AECC_POINTS?"

Terry offered his tool.  Buy it if the surface suggestions do not suit your needs.  (Assuming Terry's tool does).

The routine worked fine on an approximation of the OP's capture, example attached.  It's based on a simple minimum turned angle logic.  If needed we could automate a triangulation (with maximum edge parameter) and extract the border.  What we don't believe in is jumping through hoops to get the results you need.

To the OP (original poster), request a full working 21-day eval and find out for yourselves.  I can be reached at dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.

coburnj
Message 18 of 18 (483 Views)

10-29-2011 05:21 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks guys, for all your help.

Regards,

OP

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.