Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help files reference Object Name - what is that?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
steve-dude
1130 Views, 8 Replies

Help files reference Object Name - what is that?

Hi, I got an easy one for you.  I don't understand what CAD is directing me to do.

I wanted to renumber some label tags.  The instructions in Help make reference to Ribbon click <Object Name> tab, labels and tables panel, renumber tags.  Of course I don't have a <Object Name> tab.  That would be too easy.  I could use the menu <Object Name>, add tables, renumber tags, but I also don't have a menu called <Object Name>.

This comes up over an over in help files.  I can't perform the commands because they don't seem to exist in my ribbon or menu.

What the heck is <Object Name>?  Where do I get access to it?  Where are all of the tabs and menus associated with it?

When I don't see it on the screen, I don't know how to click it.  The instruction is to "Click <Object name> tab > Labels & Tables panel > Renumber Tags. "  What would you click?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: steve-dude

If you are dealing with tags along Alignment or Parcel objects, you can select the Modify ribbon tab, then find and select the button representing one of those Object Types, either Allignment or Parcel (they are all in the Design panel.) After selecting the object type, you see Renumber Tags near the far-left (is that an oxymoron near the far left?).

Optionally, you can just pick the object, an alignment or parcel, in the drawing area. The ribbon that appears will have the Renumber Tags button.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9

With regard the <Object Name> reference, i think you need to substitute in the name of the type of the object your label is attached to.

For example, if you are looking to modify an alignment label/tag, select the alignment in the drawing, and the Alignment context tab will be displayed on the ribbon, which wil have a "Label and Tables" panel with a button "Renumber Tags".
 The same should be true for featurelines, parcels and figures.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup

Andrew is correct about the <Object Name> and the contextual tabs. Just be aware that if RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT isn't set to 1 you won't see this behavior. If it's set to 0 you'll never see a contextual tab. If it's set to 2 you have to double click the object.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
steve-dude

Sorry for the delay in response/ lack of accepting solution.  I've been preparing and ALTA, working overtime, and just needing to do what it takes to move forward.  Now I have time for my issue again.

Per tcorey - I did go to the "Modify" Tab of my ribbon and it has 'ground data' 'design' 'profile & section views' 'edit geometry' edit elevations' and 'modify' Panels (Panels, not tabs).  That didn't help, but I'm not using tags along Alignment or Parcel.  Pick the object helped, and is my work around for now, if the object is the label and not the actual object which is a line.

Per andrewpuller - this seems like a good idea.  My object is a Line.  I have no Line tab.  This could be useful if I label and object of the sorts you mention, so I look forward to trying that.

Per AllenJessup - My system variable is 1.  The mere mention of 'contextual' makes sense as I do the button I want when highlighting a tag label.

So, I have a work around but would like to try the actual instructions provided by Autodesk.  The instructions don't tell me to highlight or select the label.  What?  Here is where I'm stuck.  Help file for Renumbering Lable Tags Step 1:

1. Click <Object Name> tab -> Labels & Tables panel ->Renumber Tags.

BTW - the very closest I get to anything resembling the step 1 instruction is by clicking the "Annotate" tab, it has a "Labels & Tables" panel, but no such "Renumber Tags" to click on so it's a dead end.

FYI - with the work around, highlighting the tag label first...  a green colored tab appears on the ribbon "Labels - General Segment Label" with a "Modify" panel, with the "Renumber Tags" button.  That's pretty darn close.  It's different for sure, but pretty close.

Message 6 of 9
AllenJessup

I think the first step should be 1. Select Tag to Renumber. Click <Object Name> tab -> Labels & Tables panel ->Renumber Tags

Working from <here> I captured the following 2 pictures. See if they help make sense of the procedure.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
AllenJessup

@steve-dude wrote:

FYI - with the work around, highlighting the tag label first...  a green colored tab appears on the ribbon "Labels - General Segment Label" with a "Modify" panel, with the "Renumber Tags" button.  That's pretty darn close.  It's different for sure, but pretty close.

"Labels - General Segment Label" is the <object name> in this case. The instructions may not be specific. But I believe that this is what you're being instructed to do.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
steve-dude

Ya know, I think you're right AllenJessup.  The instructions should be different.  Highlight first, then I get the contextual and magical <Object Name> menu.  I suppose I could customize my ribbon to have that tab there all the time.  The panel is "modify" on that tab.  Perhaps the instructions are accurate for other types of objects that are already in the ribbon, like an alignment, just not the Gereral tab for the generic line objects I was working with.  Thank you.  Resolved well enough.  Plus 1 for convoluted AutoDesk help files.  At least they try.

Message 9 of 9
AllenJessup

@steve-dude wrote:

Plus 1 for convoluted AutoDesk help files.  At least they try.

One of the hardest thing in trying to explain something is to forget what you already know. The instruction made sense to me because I was already used to selecting objects to get the contextual tab. So the author had already done that step in their mind when writing that. It doesn't make it right but it makes it quite understandable.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report