Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! :(. Civil 3d To Acad

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dawf85
1131 Views, 8 Replies

Help! :(. Civil 3d To Acad

Hi All,

I would like to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me, Ive tried googling but found little to help me so far

My problem is as follows

I have created my model, 12 layouts or plots, I sent through my Autocad file for review to a friend of mine and to my horror the file is useless

My problem is that I create al my line work in Civil Cad and export that to a DWG

I import the line work into Civil 3d then import a csv for all my points

I then setup my point labels, adjust etc done.

Now i need to issue it as a final asconsturcted product but all the people opening it use autocad only which dosen't handle cogo points and it displays as attatched

So far i have tried:

Select all, Explode - But then instead of my point label displaying my number for my cogo point it just says like Point_Id_Label or something like that

Export to autocad - I read you can do like a block export Autocad which removes all the civil3d aspects of the dwg i Gave it a go but im a novice and couldnt get it to work

Please help, I appreciated anything 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: dawf85

ExporttoAutoCAD should work for you. You need to know the version of AutoCAD being used by those who are receiving the drawing as there are different versions available in ExporttoAutoCAD. If you export to a version below what the client has, that's fine, but if you give him/her a 2010 version, but they have 2009, they won't be able to open.

Better yet, if the client has the same version number of AutoCAD as you do of Civil 3D, encourage them to download the free Civil 3D Object Enabler. That will allow them to directly open your drawings without the need for you to ExporttoAutoCAD.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
dawf85
in reply to: tcorey

Thankyou,

Not for sounding like a Tard, but would you be able run me through the steps of doing that, I know what autocad version there using, but my standard is no newer then version 2007.

I did see that enabler you speak of, but unfortunately my work is for the defence and I dont think I can change there ways lol but thank you for the suggestion

Your help is much appreciated

Message 4 of 9
Neilw_05

To anyone considering a workflow that involves exporting C3D drawings to earlier versions of Autocad:

Make sure you do fairly extensive testing to see the results before committing to the workflow. I'm finding the export results can be very unsatisfactory and may require a considerable amount of work to clean up the mess.

I hope Autodesk will be more considerate of those of us who depend on the exported files.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 9
tcorey

Be sure to take into account what Neil says in the previous post, but here's a process for exporting from Civil 3D to AutoCAD 2007

Step 1: From the command prompt, type ExporttoAutoCAD2007.

Step 2: Send the file to the client.

Civil 3D will create a drawing separate from your Civil 3D drawing. Send that to the client who has AutoCAD and they will be able to see, snap to, etc., your Civil 3D objects, but the intelligence will be gone. A point will be a block, a surface whose style displays contours and border will become a bunch of polylines, etc.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: tcorey

The big problem is the way layouts and annotation scale is handled. As long as you are only exporting model space objects you probably won't have much trouble.

If you have layouts and annotative objects beware!

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 9
dawf85

Ok, export to autocad XXX worked 🙂 thankyou thank you thankyou

But now i have one more question for you wonderful people

Now I open my new exported file all my text (cogo point labels) are now Tiny almost microscopic....

Now they are a block reference,

How do increase there size before or after the export, Im sorry but I only started using autocad period a few months ago and have never had any training

Thank you again for your help and future help ):)

Message 8 of 9
dawf85

Ok problem solved

Point labels went through On layer 0 so isolated layer, explode, turned into text

keep layer isolation increase text size to suit

Vwwwalaaaah

Thanks for your help people 🙂

Message 9 of 9
tcorey

I'll save you a few minutes the next time this happens.

Just pick all the point blocks in the drawing, and then, using the Properties dialog, increase the scale of the blocks.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report