Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEC-RAS Import Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
SteadyT
697 Views, 3 Replies

HEC-RAS Import Issue

Hello,

I am attempting to import HEC-RAS Water Surface Elevations into my drawing using Autocad Civil 3D 2011.  When I import my data using the Insert --> Import HEC-RAS, it captures the wrong data for the water surface elevations.

It properly draws the creek centreline elevation within my drawing, but the water surface elevation import seems to grab the wrong data from my HEC-RAS file.  From whatI can tell, it takes the Station I.D. from HEC-RAS and imports that as the PVI Station, rather than using the GIS Data.  Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix available for it?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: SteadyT

i have always had a hard time trying to bring the water surface elevations back to civil 3d, even after religiously following advices from James, John, Matt and a few other very knowledgeable people here in the DBs. i would suggest you look into the "create profile from file" option in civil 3d. you can save the results from hec-ras in STATION-WATER SURFACE ELEVATION format easily as a text file, that you can manipulate to remove the structure entries (the ones without stations), and save it as space delimited format as in:

STA1 ELEV1

STA2 ELEV2

note that there should only be one space between the STA and ELEV in each line. then import this text file through the "create profile from file" option in civil 3d, and you will have your water surface elevation profile. i know this does not answer your original question, but hopefully gives you a workaround you can potentially use.

Message 3 of 4
Hidden_Brain

sorry, forgot to mention that once you get your water surface elevation table in text format from hec-ras, you will have to sort it to have the smallest STA at the top. otherwise, the profile from file function in civil 3d will have a brain fart.

Message 4 of 4
Matt.Anderson

Can you post your files? or drop me an email?

Matt Anderson, PE CFM

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report