Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEC-RAS EXPORT ALIGNMENT ERROR

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
conor_shea
3616 Views, 13 Replies

HEC-RAS EXPORT ALIGNMENT ERROR

I have been encountering a recurring error with HEC-RAS export.  CIVIL3D 11 creates the *.geo correctly except for the STREAM NETWORK centerline (the Civil 3D Alignment).  The proper number of points is written to the file, but multiple points near the end of the STREAM NETWORK are not written correctly.  Typically, a single data point is repeated instead.

I suspect that the error may occur when a cross section (sample line) is edited to align perpendicular to the stream rather than perpendicular to the alignment.  I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this error and if there is a fix?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: conor_shea

Can you either open a support request or post your drawing and GEO here for someone to take a look?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 14
conor_shea

The attached file shows an incorrectly created *.GEO file.  It has a *.TXT extension because the Discussion Group will not accept a file with *>GEO extension

After playing with this a bit, I have come to the conclusion that something in the editing process (modifying the alignment and editing sample lines) creates some form of corruption.  Review of the alignment and sample lines through reports does not indicate any errors. Audit, and purge commands do not remove the corruption.  The corruption follows the alignment when a WBLOCK command is used to reload the alignment.

I gave up on attempting to find the corruption.  I recreated the alignment and sample lines by exporting them to a *.DGN, importing the *.DGN into a new file, exploding the blocks, and reassembling the alignment and sample lines from the resulting polylines.  Not elegant, but it got the job done.

Message 4 of 14
erik

I get the same result with an alignment that I added PI's to prior to exporting. The utility works fine on alignments that have not been edited in this manner.

I'm using C3D 2010.

Message 5 of 14
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: erik

When you alignment exceeds the surface, I think you get some dangling PI values either at the beginning or end of the alignment.

Can you attached your drawing or LandXML copies of the alignment & surface data?

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 14
erik
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Thanks Matt.  That was my problem in this case.

Message 7 of 14
TONY7873

Conor,

I think this error occurs only with alignments that have curves in them.

Heres my work around:

1) use the original polyline that created the alignment before curves

-or-

copy>explode>explode>join>decurve your alignment to a polyline.

2) use this polyline to make a new alignment and new sample line group

3) export the new data

Alternatley you could list polyline coordinates and edit the Centerline and the Stream Network coordinates in the GEO file.

Its tedious but effective, (is there an easier way to convert an alignment to a polyline?)

Does this problem still exist in 2012?

Tonio

Message 8 of 14
conor_shea
in reply to: TONY7873

Tonio:

I think my problem was similar to one reported by jmellett on 4/25/2011 (HEC-RAS Problem with River Network Export), the end of the HEC-RAS alignment extended beyond the surface limits.  When this occurs, there are errors in the alignment section of the HEC-RAS export file.  The results are inconsistent from run to run, so it makes it difficult to track down the source of the error.

You are correct about curves in the alignment.  The documentation indicates that the report will only work with an alignmnet composed of straight line segments.

- Conor

Message 9 of 14
njavu

If you want to export more that one alignment at the same time how do you do it?

Message 10 of 14
jmayo-EE

Here's another way to decurve a pline.

From the Ribbon's Modify tab, Design panel, click the chevron arrow to drop down the remaining commands. Select Convert 2d Ployline to 3D Polyline. Then use the Convert 3D Polyline to 2D Polyline

You may then want to use the Weed Featurelines command from the Edit Geometry panel to reduce the number of PI's on the curves.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Results from above.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
troma

@TONY7873 wrote:

copy>explode>explode>join>decurve your alignment to a polyline.

(is there an easier way to convert an alignment to a polyline?)

Yes.  Offset.  Regular old Acad offset command on the alignment, it creates an offset polyline.  Offset it back and you have a polyline copy of your alignment (so long as you don't have really crazy bends going on).

That doesn't decurve, obviously.  I like John's solution for that.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 13 of 14
kashmun

I have created my alignment and made sure its not beyond the surface.  But the alignment still comes in as a straight line in HECRAS.   Please help!!!!  First i had the georererence error come up and i adjusted my alignments and sample lines to be within the surface.  

Message 14 of 14
sgoodrichWS3Q5

I am having the same error or should I say again.  It happened a while back and I changed the data to get it into Hec Ras correctly.  I have talked with others and I was told to just use QGIS it works good and cost rigth.

Steven P. Goodrich, P.E.

only using for 35 years the work around product.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report