Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having trouble with layers in civil 3d

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MKH-VB
278 Views, 6 Replies

having trouble with layers in civil 3d

been using autocad for many years and have a great grasp of "regular" autocad.  I can't seem to get comfortable with the layering in c3d.  My issue: I have done some cross secitons and have a major grid and minor grid. In "regular" autocad, I could just select "layoff" from the layer tools and select, by entity, the layer I wanted to turn off. Now with the section views, I can select the layer I want turned off, and the entire thing goes off. Just curiouis on how others are handling this. 

mkh
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: MKH-VB

Use layman or the style to change the layer visibility of the subcomponents. Yes, it took a long time to break myself of trying to use LAYFRZ or LAYOFF. The Sincpac-C3D SPLayFrz, SPLayOff, & SPLayIso commands help a lot, but don't work with all C3D objects.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
Neilw_05

You are encountering one of the downsides to the style paradigm. A section view is a special C3D object just as are surfaces, alignments, profile views, etc.

The components of these objects are not individually selectable. Thus you cannot use the layer Freeze/Thaw/Off/On tools to control the display of the components such as the grid lines, because when you select any part of the Section View object, the entire object is selected and it's layer is what gets affected.

The only ways to control the display of the components is to turn them on or off in the object style or in the layer manager. This typically requires opening the style to see what layers are used and then finding the layers in the layer manager to turn them off and on. It is a cumbersome workflow.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7
neilyj666

As Jeff says, styles are the key to the visibility of objects in c3d. Most users have several styles in which certain components are off but the on/off is only achievable via styles.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 7
MKH-VB
in reply to: neilyj666

thanks everyone...still can't get used to the styles. Seems a bit cumbersome to me.
mkh
Message 6 of 7
neilyj666

Yes, they can be both very useful and very longwinded and a PITA when using xrefs.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 7
MKH-VB
in reply to: neilyj666

.....and my project usually live and die by the xref!
mkh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report