Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch is slow in AutoCAD 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
whitea_kern
985 Views, 7 Replies

Hatch is slow in AutoCAD 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a user of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 but am part of my county's IT department and I am trying to troubleshoot a user's slow performance when using Hatch.  Please keep in mind I'm not familiar with the interface or the terminology so do not know what to ask the user or what settings to check.

The computer is a Dell Precision T3600:

32GB of RAM

Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

1TB 7200rpm hard drive.

The file he is working with is only about 5MB and according to him has been working on it for a few weeks with no issues until a few days ago when Hatching became extremely slow.  When he would first start AutoCAD the first Hatch would usually complete in a few seconds and then any following could take anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes or he would shut down AutoCAD and try again.  Per his usage he says this process used to be instantaneous, not even taking a few seconds.

I've had him do the following with no success:

1)turned off HPQUICKREVIEW
2)Ran an AUDIT (found 0 errors)
3)set FIELDEVAL to 4

I also did a Repair from Windows programs with no effect on performance. 

I had asked him if he had any unnecessary layers and he said the file was already flattened.  I had him zoom in further before trying Hatch and this 'seemed' to be quicker.  Is this an indication he didn't actually perform some of the suggestions I provided?  From my research, the Hatch command will process all the visible data when using as 'point'.  I tried to get him to set boundaries but he only responded he never had to do that before.  What could possibly be different about this file?

What other options can I try?  What other data should I gather?  What other questions should I ask the user about his project?

I will be dealing with AutoCAD on a regular basis in my organization(not as a user though) for the foreseeable future so I would like to know how to properly gather data and how to approach troubleshooting performance issues. 

I've attached the .dwg file if anyone wants to take a look but per the user, Hatching worked just fine on a co-workers machine using the same file.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: whitea_kern

I'll take a look at the file but WBLOCKing to a new dwg file or INSERTing to a new dwg may help

EDIT: Just had a look at the file and was able to change hatch patterns, angle and scale and performance was as I expected......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 8
whitea_kern
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for taking a look.  This is what I'm experiencing with my user.  He is the only one having issues with Hatch.  I gave him the AutoCAD Service Pack 2 to install.  If that doesn't help, should I just reinstall?  If so, any tips when uninstalling/reinstalling?

Message 4 of 8
rl_jackson
in reply to: neilyj666

I opened the file noted it was at a high coordinate value (i.e. state plane) change the Hatch orign of the concrete hatch and I can hatch a rectangle in about 2 seconds.

Hatch patterns don't like high coordinates, when you hatch at high values try setting a defualt orgin for the area in questions. This will also make the conrete hatch pattern plot correctly.

i5

6gb ram

C3D13

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
whitea_kern
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thank you for the suggestion.  I passed this onto my user and he said that was essentially the same as making a boundary, something he did not have to do before and something I tried to get him to do previously.  Setting a default origin sounded like a different approach to me.

This is what I'm dealing with where it is like pulling teeth to get a user to try somethingSmiley Mad  I definitely appreciate the help though.

Message 6 of 8
smay8399

I usually have to copy to the side and create a boundary for my hatch, isolate and move it to the side, then copy the hatch back to my parking lot. Otherwise, I risk getting the spinning wheel of doom.
Message 7 of 8
whitea_kern
in reply to: smay8399

I will keep pushing my user to use boundaries.  There is no guarantee a reinstall will solve his problem so he can either learn to workaround these type of occurrences or continue to suffer degraded performance.

On a side note, is there any type of logging I can turn on that can help me find the root cause why his install of AutoCAD does not perform as well as others with the same file?

Message 8 of 8
whitea_kern

Just an FYI, I uninstalled/reinstalled AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 and it solved the slow performance with hatching.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report