Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone looked at the Interactive Terrain Shaper?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
tcorey
1852 Views, 35 Replies

Has anyone looked at the Interactive Terrain Shaper?

Hello Civil 3Ders,

Autodesk Labs introduced Interactive Terrain Shaper (ITS), so if you want to know what Autodesk is working on for future release, you should check it out.

ITS automates grading design by providing many standard shapes that you can paste into a Grading Grid canvas. I have a couple hours into it now and this sure looks like something we are going to want to use.

To anyone who wants Civil 3D grading to be faster and easier, I urge you to download and evaluate this tool as there is obviously much work still to be done by Autodesk and if we get our comments in now, we are more likely to get a first generation that is usable.

Broken record, I am: Please be sure to send your comments to Autodesk. One, so that they know we want this tool and, two, so that they release it ready-to-use.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Jeff_M
in reply to: tcorey

Message 3 of 36
eric.chappell

I've started digging into it and have been blogging about it as I go.

http://ericchappell.blogspot.com/search/label/ITS

Message 4 of 36

The technology preview now supports AutoCAD Map 3D:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_terrain/

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 36

Just downloaded for 2012 Map 3d, after extracting and opening the .exe file i get: Setup was unable to detect any target applications for Interactive Terrain Shaping for AutoCAD Map 3D 2012.

Message 6 of 36
tcorey

It only works with the 64-bit versions of C3D or Map. Maybe you have a 32-bit version?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 36
Projectmax1

Ive was told i needed the service pack update numero uno, works now.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 36

I have updated the page to show SP1 as a requirement.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_terrain/supported_apps/

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 36
LyleHardin

I tried it. I went through the brief tutorial. I found it interesting.

Revisited it a week or two later and couldn't figure out how to use it.

Sounds like a good idea, but still not very intuitive.

I may have to revisit it again when I get a chance.

For now, I'll stick to grading with Civil 3D.

Message 10 of 36
el_nath

I just tried it out.  Very very interesting.  I like the direction this is going.  It's much "cleaner" than the grading tools.  Just one thing, I hope the absence of the working planes/grading grid from the prospector is merely due to the fact that is a technology preview.  When officially released, the grading grids need to be listed in the prospector (as a part of sites?).

Other than that, I wish I had this for my playground grading job.  Grading within a complicated boundary, push the Civil 3D grading tools to their limits and sometimes past them.  Interactive Terrain Shaper looks likes it's going to make site grading fun again.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 11 of 36
dtham
in reply to: el_nath

This product so cool.

Our company has been looking for a product like this for 2 years.

We tried to use Civil 3D surfaces and Solidworks to build very large model with some success.

With this software, will be very easily to use.

Message 12 of 36
scott.sheppard
in reply to: dtham

Thanks for the endorsement.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 36
jponce100
in reply to: scott.sheppard

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the endorsement.

Please, I need to now if terrain run to Civil 3D 2013.

Thanks

Jose Ponce

Civil Engineer

Golder Associates

Message 14 of 36
tylergraham5447

I would also like to know if this is available for C3D 2013.

Message 15 of 36

At this point the team is collecting feedback from the 2012 user base because that is enough users to get them the feedback they need. Should they decide to expand their audience, they can consider a 2013-based technology preview, but that is not on my roadmap right now.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 36
patrick

Just came across this on a LinkedIn Civil 3D Users Group. WOW! Can't wait for this grading option to be incorporated with the Civil 3D product. Have watched the videos numerous times and would like to practice on my own to better understand the concept. However, a few keys bits of information are not included in the videos. For example, does it matter what the original elevations assigned to a feature line are since the grading plane key point, direction of flow and flow grade change them anyway? Just curious.

Message 17 of 36
eric.chappell

I've got a few articles on ITS on my blog.  Maybe you'll find some helpful information there.  http://ericchappell.blogspot.com/search/label/ITS

Message 18 of 36
Smita
in reply to: patrick

The elevations of feature lines are always replaced by the elevations derived from the geometry on which they are draped. For example, the boundaries of parking lot and pond are always derived from the planes on which they are draped, hence we don't recommend editing their elevations. However, if you are working with feature lines that are not draped, then you can edit the elevations to control the output. For example, when using a feature line as a baseline to create a swale (or berm), you will need to edit the elevations manually to control the result of swale/berm operation.

Smita

Message 19 of 36
scott.sheppard
in reply to: Smita

Thank you for noting that.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 36
graf_p

Can all the grading you create in the Interactive Terrian Shaper become civil 3d surfaces for use in your production drawings? I noticed if you create a simple parking lot in ITS that the surface does not include the projected slopes around the pereimeter.

PG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report