Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone looked at the Interactive Terrain Shaper?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
tcorey
1860 Views, 35 Replies

Has anyone looked at the Interactive Terrain Shaper?

Hello Civil 3Ders,

Autodesk Labs introduced Interactive Terrain Shaper (ITS), so if you want to know what Autodesk is working on for future release, you should check it out.

ITS automates grading design by providing many standard shapes that you can paste into a Grading Grid canvas. I have a couple hours into it now and this sure looks like something we are going to want to use.

To anyone who wants Civil 3D grading to be faster and easier, I urge you to download and evaluate this tool as there is obviously much work still to be done by Autodesk and if we get our comments in now, we are more likely to get a first generation that is usable.

Broken record, I am: Please be sure to send your comments to Autodesk. One, so that they know we want this tool and, two, so that they release it ready-to-use.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
john.chesterton
in reply to: tcorey

I was encouraged to see this as we often need to create an autocad solid from a surface which this does well. We typically use these for imput to other modelling software such as ANSYS. 

However, any surfaces and hence solids it creates are gridded surfaces not the triangulated surface. 

Any idea if it will be possible to output a solid of the triangulated surface or have I just missed something in my quick review?

Message 22 of 36
Smita
in reply to: graf_p

Currently, the gradings can only be converted to a civil grid surface. Such a surface cannot include parking lot boundaries and breaklines because it is gridded. However, this is just a limitation of labs preview and we do want to support conversion to Civil Tin in future.

Message 23 of 36
Smita
in reply to: john.chesterton

The 3d solid created from the model (by switching to solid mode and then extracting AutoCAD 3D solid) is not grid-based. It is a very accurate representation of the solution (and slow due to this reason). The solution is grid-based only as long as you are in the grid mode. Surfaces exported in this mode are also gridded (and hence approximate). (We do intend to support export to TIN in future, as indicated in my previous post.) The moment you switch to solid mode, the grid model is destroyed and replaced with an accurate solid model with hard edges where necessary.

Message 24 of 36
caishengli

Thanks for the powerful tools!

Can you tell me how can see only the work canvas instead of the orgin surface  in the right viewport?

thanks.

Message 25 of 36
Smita
in reply to: caishengli

I assume that you want to turn off the tin surface in 3D. You can set the surface style to not display any components (contours, triangles, etc.) in 3D. Does that answer your question?

Smita

Message 26 of 36
caishengli
in reply to: Smita

yes,I want to turn off the tin surface in viewport . with your directions I got it .thank!

can somebody give othe examples of the video? thanks!

Message 27 of 36

The technology preview has ended. The add-on will stop working on August 1, 2012. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 28 of 36
graf_p
in reply to: scott.sheppard

What do I need to do to uninstall the ITS from Civil 3d?

Message 29 of 36
redangled

I want to try ITS can you provide me the source for it. It would be very much help.

Message 30 of 36
neilyj666
in reply to: redangled

Unavailable as far as I'm aware....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 31 of 36
scott.sheppard

The Interactive Terrain Shaper is Autodesk intellectual property. We do not share the source for it.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 32 of 36
neilyj666

I suspect the OP was asking for the source in the sense of where to download the data (which I answered as unavailable) rather than the source codeSmiley Wink

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 33 of 36
tcorey

@redangled wrote:

I want to try ITS can you provide me the source for it. It would be very much help.

I dont' think he was looking for the source code, I think he was looking for a source to download the program.

To redangled: Interactive Terrain Shaper is a technology from Autodesk Labs. When they are working on possible new features, those features are often released to the Civil 3D-using public for a trial period. This helps the developers find bugs, needed changes and users wants. These preview programs have expiration dates. That date came for ITS so it's no longer available for download. Judging from the comments on this thread, many are hoping it is incorporated into Civil 3D at some point.

To Scott: The sooner the better. 😉

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 34 of 36
graf_p

Since the preview for IT has ended is there a way I can uninstall the program for my Civil 3d menus?

Thanks,

Paul

Message 35 of 36
dtham

Global Mapper is a tools to try.

It is not expensive.

Message 36 of 36
tcorey
in reply to: graf_p

Hi Paul,

Sorry, it's been a long time since I dealt with ITS, but did it install a Ribbon tab? If so, you can remove it using CUI command.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report