Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware for Civil 3D (IDS Premium) 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BWYarger
321 Views, 3 Replies

Hardware for Civil 3D (IDS Premium) 2014

I am considering replacing my computer for C3D and am wanting suggestions on the configuration.  From what I have read, I should get the fastest Core i7 I can afford with at least 16 GB of RAM, a SSD hard drive for the OS and a NVidia Quadro card.  We have the data on a network drive, but since we only have one copy of C3D, would it be better to have the working files on a local SSD data drive and then occationally backup to the network drive (which is a older raid 10 and backed up regularly)? 

My old computer is a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad with 8 GB RAM, a SSD hard drive for the OS and a NVidia FX 260 card.  When I bought it, there was little difference between the processor I got and the very new i7 at that time.  Are the new Core i7 processors that much better, or should I save the money and just install the maximum RAM in this machine?  Would installing a second SSD for the data be better than using the network drive?

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hmartinez5
in reply to: BWYarger

I would recommend you see this table. It is single threaded application benchmark. Find your processor and compare it to the i7 processor you are considering to purchase with your new PC. If there is a difference of 300 points or less, I would recommend you stay with your current processor.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Message 3 of 4
BWYarger
in reply to: hmartinez5

My processor scored 1259, so a new Core i7 4770 or Xeon E3-1280 would about double that speed.  Xeons didn't have prices, but typically are a few hundred dollars more in workstations than the Core series.  Are Xeons worth the extra if I am getting a completely new computer?

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
Message 4 of 4
hmartinez5
in reply to: BWYarger

I don't think you will see the difference between an i7 and a Xeon. I think the Xeons can have more RAM though. I have never had Civil use more than 16GB so it should be a good limit. For now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report