Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guardrail?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
626 Views, 2 Replies

Guardrail?

I am trying to apply a guardrail to a section of bridge that I have created a corridor for. The trouble is that it is only applying the posts - no guardrail is attached. Is this what the simple guardrail subassembly is suppose to do? It only gives me the option Left or Right when I attach it to the Assembly - is there some place that I can tell it what type of rail to add to the posts? Also, is there a source out there somewhere for different catalogs for subassemblies - I am using the simple ones that came with Civil3d? I am getting hung up quite a bit on this corridor assembly creation - are there some good tutorials somewhere out there that would explain them better than what the Civil3D ones or the AutoCAD Webcasts do. The Civil 3D ones are great, but very simple. I am trying to get a corridor built for a bridge that we are replacing. I will be showing both the existing bridge and proposed bridge, along with the proposed pavement, blisters, guardrail, and slopes. This is proving to be a little difficult using corridors. I have finally finished the slopes leading up to the bridge on both sides - now for the bridge itself. This brings up a second question. Anyone using solids to make structures - such as a bridge deck with curb and guardrail? I have also been looking into this, but the bridge is on a vertical curve - so I can not use the extrude or 3d box commands because I need the corners of the bridge at different elevations. This is a whole new world to me - before this project I was mostly a 2d person. Expanding my knowledge is great, but at certain times, proving to be very difficult. Thanks for any help, Chad
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I looked into this a little more and I opened the basic guardrail in the VBA Editor. I do not know much about VBA yet (OJT), but I see that there are variables for post width, rail width, and rail height. The question is, what value do I need to add to the VBA string to get these variables to pop up when I select the basic guardrail. Right now it is only popping in at a profile view of the guardrail, but it looks like it has the ability to be a solid - what do I need to get it to that next step?? I am not looking for a VBA lesson, I realize there are a lot of help topics on this, but I could really use this guardrail as a solid post with the rail attached. Could someone please tell me how to do this, or if it is even possible. Seems odd to me that the settings are in the VBA command for basic guardrail, but are not being used?? Thanks, Chad
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Chad, The purpose of the Guardrail subassembly is to show the Guardrail detail on sections sampled for the corridor. There is no extrusion to the corresponding points of the guardrail between the adjacent sections (as the out of the box functionality). If you want to experiment, coding of some links on the guardrail would need to be declared as TOP surface. Be aware though that overhangs don't mix together with surface objects... regs Rad "Chad Wurzer" wrote in message news:422e173f$1_3@newsprd01... > I looked into this a little more and I opened the basic guardrail in the VBA > Editor. I do not know much about VBA yet (OJT), but I see that there are > variables for post width, rail width, and rail height. The question is, > what value do I need to add to the VBA string to get these variables to pop > up when I select the basic guardrail. > Right now it is only popping in at a profile view of the guardrail, but it > looks like it has the ability to be a solid - what do I need to get it to > that next step?? > I am not looking for a VBA lesson, I realize there are a lot of help topics > on this, but I could really use this guardrail as a solid post with the rail > attached. Could someone please tell me how to do this, or if it is even > possible. Seems odd to me that the settings are in the VBA command for > basic guardrail, but are not being used?? > > Thanks, > Chad > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report