Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grips stay highlighted after Cancel

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
AKV113
3093 Views, 13 Replies

Grips stay highlighted after Cancel

I am using Civil3D 2015, which was installed a week ago. I have been using it for 5 days and today is the first time I've had this problem:

I am having trouble with grips on objects staying highlighted after I cancel out of a command. Then, when I start a new command the object with grips highlighted is automatically selected, but the command will not work on it. I am trying to stretch a clipped viewport by using the grips, and when I click on the viewport the grips highlight but will not let me move any of them. I thought maybe it was because I added a north arrow from the Layout Elements menu, because I was not having this problem before I did that, so I erased the north arrow and tried again without success. I even shut down AutoCAD, recovered the drawing, and audited it to try to get it to work right. There are no errors found when I do that. I have been able to grip edit the viewport one or two times after reopening the drawing before it starts giving me the problem again, and I tried it in another drawing to see if the problem was only in the one drawing, and it is not. I can't get any work done with this problem. Please help.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: AKV113

I just experienced this very issue myself in 2014 SP1 today in multiple files.

Was just telling a co-worker that this looks like a bug & read your post. Smiley Surprised

I concur that it seems to only involve VPCLIP manipulated viewports. And yes the problem always returns.

Been doing a bunch of plan and profile sheet tweaks and only the clipped viewports behave this way.

The grips disappear if I exit dwg & open again.

Reagenall etc. will not disable nor wake up these non-functional grips.

If your on subscription, please submit a support request to AutoDesk.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 14
Jay_B

It gets even better. I can't move simple Mtext around normally once this occurs, seems an exit is required, following any VPCLIP viewport edit once the issue occurs.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 4 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Same here.  I usually just do a REGENALL (REA), and it fixes it.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: Jay_B

I missed that you are using a Dynamic North Arrow,same here with all viewports using them.

Going to have to find some time to test this using the OOTB dwt's & submit an SR.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 14
Jay_B

It seems to have something to do with the Dynamic North Arrow.

In limited testing using attached 2014 Tutorial file the VPCLIP viewport could be grip edited normally

until the Dynamic North arrow was added.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 14
Jay_B

Filed a Support Request and AutoDesk was able to confirm this issue.

Response from support:

"Unfortunately the only workaround is to close and re-open the drawing and continue with edits."

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 14
agoretoy

Thank you Jay_B

I do use dynamic North Arrow - In fact, I customized it to include some Datum info that must accommodate our North Arrow and it works great!

Dynamic North Arrow, Scale bars and other dynamic is a great asset of Civil 3D. In particular, Dynamic North arrow allows easy manipulation of viewport’s modelspace view rotation angle to a desirable level by simply changing angle of the arrow in the North Arrow Property box (Ctl+1 or drop down Properties menu).  Especially when you work with many tabs in one file and you need to manipulate many views.  In the past, I used DVIEW command and a TWIST to get viewport view to a desirable angle/level and it was a cumbersome process.  Dynamic NA is a big help in getting map view to a desirable angle in your viewport.

After reading topic from your link - I did my testing - indeed dynamic North Arrow causes the problem!

I did my own testing - delete or explode your dynamic arrow - this will disassociate your viewport dynamic link to it.  Now you can reshape your Polygonal Viewport to any shape and it will never "freeze" your process.

On the other note - I inserted and associated a dynamic Scale Bar with my Polygonal Viewport.  Now no dynamic North Arrow connected to a viewport, but Dynamic scale bar is associated with it.  Editing/stretching by the grips viewport polygon will freeze again at some point in the middle of the process.

My conclusion: - Autodesk has a bug inside the Dynamic Link Association programming code that causes process of reshaping polygonal viewports using its grips to freeze, rendering file unusable until you reload the file.

My workaround solution:

As soon as you aligned viewport to a desirable angle (level) using North Arrow angle properties - explode your arrow. this will break the dynamic association link with North Arrow Object. Now you can reshape viewport to any shape you need without getting interrupted by "freeze"

After you done with reshaping operation - you can keep exploded NA if no more viewport view rotation/adjustment is expected or just reinsert new Dynamic North Arrow and connect to your viewport for potential angle manipulation in the future.

This is a bug in a Civil 3D that Autodesk need to address.  Despite many "useless upgrades”, I see sometimes in new versions of AutoCAD - this one is actually very helpful - in my workflow anyway... Autodesk - please fix the problem – you paid good money by the professionals around the world for the software, and when a truly good tool comes in as improvement – it should work rock solid!

Message 9 of 14
Jay_B

Still experiencing this issue in 2016 SP2 when using a Dynamic north arrow.

"Unfortunately the only workaround is to close and re-open the drawing and continue with edits."

This is bug completely obliterates any advantage gained by using dynamic north arrows.

Does anyone have a solution which doesn't require closing the drawing 5-10 times per sheet to perform

normal grip editing tasks?

Once things start heading south, all grips go from multi-functional to non-functional. Smiley Frustrated

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 14
rl_jackson

I've also experienced that viewport dissappearing with a dynamic arrow. And could find no way to make it return, but it showed the view. There is definately something fishing going on with them. I stay away for now.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
mooring99

Has a fix been provided for this yet? Very frustrating

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mooring99

No fix for Civil3D 2018. Encountered the issue today when using Dynamic North Arrow.

Message 13 of 14
thallock7WHVC
in reply to: Anonymous

Using Civil 3D 2020, and I am having the same issue. Any bug fixes for this yet?

Message 14 of 14
aarone

I have installed all updates and auto cad crashes when I try to change anything on a dynamic north arrow. I tried changing the scale in the properties bar and tried using the scale command. I also tried changing the layer to my title layer in the properties bar and it crashed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report