Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grips for "labels for line & curve" does not use Z changes ?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
690 Views, 23 Replies

Grips for "labels for line & curve" does not use Z changes ?

I'm using label for line & curve. 

I have discovered that the points from it is created are fixed in Z value.

You can use the grips with object snap , you can move the grips but the Z values are  preserved......

Do you have the same bahaviour ? Thanks,

it should be to get the Z value of X,Y,Z given by object snap , isn't it ?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

What points are you talking about? The line/curve labels don't create points. What grips are you talking about? The label grips, or the object you're labelling?

If you are labelling a regular polyline, you should know that they only exist in 2D. You can snap them how you want, but it will remain in one elevation. If you want the different vertices to be at different elevations you need to use a 3D polyline or a featureline.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Sorry for the "points" contamination. 

I'm using the label with a feature line with 3D data.  (But I could use acad points if I wanted)

I create a first label and place it (using object snap) between point 1 and point 2 with 100 and 101 Z values.

Distance betwen 1 and 2 are 10 meters. so you have a 10%. (I'm using grade style)

Now I move the grip 1 and 2  to other points separated 10 m but their Z are 100 and 102 (20% )

I'm using object snap to move the grips 1 and 2 to points .

You keep viewing 10%.  ..... Because you have moved the label grips but the Z value of theese grips are the same than before....

The label is using "general segment grade", maybe it can be the problem ? 

Thanks.

Message 4 of 24
troma

First you should check if the snap worked: are the vertices of the feature line at the elevations you think it should be? Have a look in elevation editor to see what the elevations and the grade actually are.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Yes, SNAP works .

If I create a new label this one collects the right Z values.

Are you having the same results as me ? 

Thanks

Message 6 of 24
troma

Have you tried:

REGENALL?
Close the drawing and reopen?
Recover the drawing?
Audit the drawing?
Close the program and start it again?
Shut down the machine and reboot?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Troma... 

Thanks.

All would be solved if you try it ....

I think simply C3D does not collect new Z values for labels moved.

Message 8 of 24
troma

OK, let me ask you this: if you open the elevation editor and edit the elevation that way, does the label update? I know it does for me.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 24
troma

I just tried it by snapping, and it updated the grade label immediately.

Civil 3D 2011, 32 bit

Mark Green

Message 10 of 24
tcorey

Tonnot,

Yes, you're correct, if you use the Line between Two Points Line Label option, then the resultant label will not update to the new vertex elevation if you snap one of the label's grips to a higher or lower point.

Possibly you should consider using a Feature Line label and select a feature line segment instead of using the line between two points option. This would create labels that will update if the feature line vertices are modified.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 11 of 24
AllenJessup

It doesn't sound to me like the OP is labeling a featureline or a 3D Polyline directly. The OP has said that  "I could use acad points if I wanted". It sounds more like a label that extracts the start and end elevation and uses an expression to calculate a grade over the distance between those points.

I don't see how a featureline label could be snapped to a different featureline. AFAIK. That's not possible with a standard line label.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous

Troma thanks for your time.

I'm using "label betwen two points", not "single segment "label

The second reacts to segment changes.

But the first one not. 

Please, can you check my drawing. 

You can see two labels showing 10% , but if you check coordinates or if you create new labels you will see that it has a 20%. (grades).

Thanks  (really, sincerely thanks for your time)

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen: 

What is then  "Line betwen two points". ????

It means: You can use with two 3d points. (for me and for everybody...)

Maybe the problem is inside the expresion ... I'm going to review it...

Thanks.-

Message 14 of 24
tcorey

@AllenJessup wrote:

It doesn't sound to me like the OP is labeling a featureline or a 3D Polyline directly. 

In his second post he says, "I'm using the label with a feature line with 3D data." However, the Line Between Two Points style of labeling can use any two location selections. You could snap to AutoCAD points, as Tonnot notes in his post, or you could snap to C3D points or pline endpoints or midpoints or text insertion points, etc. 

If you're labeling the grade using the Line Between Two Points label type, it reads the elevations of the two points you pick and labels the grade accordingly. His complaint is that if you subsequently pick one of the label's grips and change its elevation, the label does not change value. 

There is no expression tied to this type of label.

My suggestion to use Feature Line labels was because he said he is labeling Feature Lines.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 15 of 24
AllenJessup

We're still using 2012 for production. Testing 2014 a little. I've never worked with that specific label. I think it became available in 2013. I wasn't specificaly aware that an expression could be used. Only guessing.

From my familiarity with the label styles in 2012 my opinion is that it's better to create a new label rather than try to move or copy an existing one.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
BrianHailey

It's not specific to your drawing and you aren't going crazy. It works exactly as you are describing. The elevation of the points labeled when using the "Line between 2 points" command does not change when you grip edit the label. Odd behavior in my opinion. I would recommend drawing a line between the two points and then label that. Need to change the lable? Simply change the line and the lable will update.

If you do this, you'll need to leave the layer the line is on thawed and frozen but you can set it to "No Plot" so you won't see the line when plotting.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

Finally this label has a silly behaviour.

It is not dynamic !!!

If you change the grips location they only collect the X,Y data of an object (SNAP).

So finally i think this is a BUG.

I dont understand who wrote the requisites to comply for this label..... or maybe the programmer  forget something.....

Thanks. 

Message 18 of 24
AllenJessup

It may be silly. But I don't think it's a bug. Since this operates contrary to normal AutoCAD operations. I think this may have been a conscious decision on the part of a programmer. Possibly trying to keep a user from "accidentally" snapping to the wrong Z.

You might want to start a Support Case with Autodesk to see what their opinion is.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

You said : Possibly trying to keep a user from "accidentally" snapping to the wrong Z.

So , which is the intent of let me change the grips? If the grips are not going to reflect new data ... please don't let me move the grips.

GRIPS are GRIPS and every acad feature reacts choosing 3D info for the GRIPS.

If you want we can do a poll ?

Thanks anyway.

Message 20 of 24
AllenJessup

I didn't say it's logical and I didn't say it was correct. I only said it was probably done by design rather than by mistake. There are quite a few thing that were done by design in Civil 3D that don't make much sense to users. I was only trying to differentiate between that case and that of a "bug" which would have been unintentional.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report