Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grid from DEM contour issues

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tpuck2687
1310 Views, 8 Replies

Grid from DEM contour issues

When I create a grid from our OSIP DEM files the contours come in as a block. I usually do 1' and 5' contours. I would like to break these so that when I select a 1' contour it will show up individually with elevation data still attached. If you select one now, it selects the entire grid. If you explode it, you lose the grid file. Is there a way to do this or will a just have to label the contours so I know where I am at?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: tpuck2687

I do not have a Dem contour file opened at the present but:

1.  Can you not hover over the contour and get the elevation?

or

2. Use the Utilities in the Surface menu and select EXTRACT OBJECTS From SURFACE. You can pull a polyline right out.

Bill

Message 3 of 9
AllenJessup

By "Block" do you mean a Civil 3D Tin Surface? If so, you can extract contours from Surface. As soon as my Computer comes back to life.

ext.png

ext2.PNG

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
tpuck2687
in reply to: AllenJessup

When I hover over the grid, I get an elevation at that point but I cannot select individual contours. I guess I'm just looking to break them into individual line. It may not even be necessary but for some reason I want it that way.

Message 5 of 9
tpuck2687

Thank you Allen, that is exactly what I wanted to do!! You will be seeing me more frequently as I am new to civil3d. I used land development for years and then I have been on Bentley Microstation for the past 5 so this will take some adjustment. BTW this was a grid from DEM not a TIN surface but it did not seem to matter.

Message 6 of 9
tpuck2687

Sorry wfBerry as I did not see your option #2. You both had it but the screenshots are very helpful!!

Message 7 of 9
AllenJessup

@tpuck2687 wrote:

I am new to civil3d.

Welcome to the club. One thing you're going to need to know is that all of the dynamic Civil 3D objects are a single object. They do behave much like blocks but aren't blocks. In the example of a Surface. How it's displayed depends on the Surface Style that is assigned to it. You might change it from a Style that displays contours to a style that displays triangles and points.. That doesn't change the Surface object. Just how it is displayed.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
tpuck2687

That definetly clears some things up and I thank you for your help. Are there any posts or tutorials you could point me toward for watershed or catchment creations?

Message 9 of 9
Neilw_05

You don't need to extract the contours. All you need to do is hover over the surface and you should see the elevation shown near your cursor as a tool tip. If you don't see a tool tip, you may need to turn it on in your settings.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report