Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic card for Civil 3d

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1990 Views, 7 Replies

Graphic card for Civil 3d

Hello,

I have Radeon HD 3850 256MB, 256bit graphic card on my computer and I intend to replace it, but I am low in buget. So, I want to know whether the Radeon HD 6850 is a good choice for common use in Civil 3D, or I need to get some Nvidia card or Quadro card to improve work experiance in Civil. Thank you in advance for your reply.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you checked the recommended hardware list?

Based on past experience I tend to prefer nVidia cards.  A good gaming card should be sufficient, but a Quadro can be better for point cloud work (if you will be using ReCap, it has some specific hardware requirements that must be met).  Don't expect throwing money at a problem will make it go away.  More than most programs, Civil3D is very dependant on proper work procedures and data management.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Based on past experience I tend to prefer nVidia cards.  A good gaming card should be sufficient, but a Quadro can be better for point cloud work (if you will be using ReCap, it has some specific hardware requirements that must be met).  Don't expect throwing money at a problem will make it go away.  More than most programs, Civil3D is very dependant on proper work procedures and data management.

A very true statement...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I don't use point cloud, my drawings mostly have 2.000-3.000 points ( roads about 4-5 km lenght). I have problem when I want to view surface  or corridor in 3d orbit, somethimes even when zooming in 2D view, Civil simply not responding. Also, it is wery slow when creating corridor. I have to say that I am new in Civil 3D and that slow responding of program discourages me to continue with learning. I found one Quadro FX 3700 with good price and I wonder if it would improve performance and remove problems that I have, or buyng a HD 6850 or similar card (either ATI or NVidia) will be better solution? I am interested in what specifications of graphic card are most important for work in Civil (amount of RAM, RAM speed and bit dept, or GPU speed or something else). Sorry for my bad english, I hope that I succeeded to explain to you my problem.

Message 5 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:

@dgorsman wrote:

A very true statement...

I also agree. Here's a link to the Hardware List.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
dgorsman

3DORBIT in AutoCAD and verticals have always been a bit dodgy for anything other than very simple/low-polygon models.  The program was never really intended to be real-time visualation software, so even with a high-end graphics card you won't be seeing the performance you might expect.  It won't compete with dedicated software like Navisworks (which is what our designers use to look at the models) or Inventor which are designed from the ground-up to operate in a shaded 3D mode.  I'll have to leave the detailed diagnostics of corridors to those more knowledgeable than myself.

It can be discouraging, but its best to compare apples to apples.  Its not really fair to compare it to most software we deal with on a day to day basis, where its click-click-done.  The difference in the calculations and data manipulation done by Civil3D is orders beyond those programs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 8
mathewkol

A new graphics card will not improve the performance in creating or rebuilding a corridor. It may help for viewing in the object viewer, but there are tricks to help speed up that process; like using the level of detail setting and simplifying your corridor code set style.

Don't get discouraged, as you gain experience, you learn what to do and more importantly what not to to make things go smoother.

Maybe have your reseller come in and have a look at your drawing and give their opinion on how well it's been organized. They can give you some advice on how possibly to better organize things. This is assuming they're competent.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Question I asked here was related to the graphics card, but from your responses I can get a conclusion that I need a lot more to learn about working in Civil 3D Smiley Happy. In any case, I hope to here will be able to ask for help for every problem that I encountered in the future. Thank you all for answers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report