Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Updating Automatically

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Lizewski
4404 Views, 17 Replies

Grading Updating Automatically

When I move a vertex on my feature line the corresponding grading updates automatically. I would like to pause the rebuilding of my grading until I have made all my edits to the feature line. It becomes very time consuming to wait for the grading to update every time I move one vertex.

There must be a setting similar to the rebuild of surfaces where I can specify an automatic rebuild or rebuilt on command. This might be buried in the multitude of setting windows but I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

-Ryan
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
gknobbe
in reply to: Lizewski

go to the prospector--- right click the surface---take the check mark off of rebuild automatic
Message 3 of 18
Lizewski

Thanks but I actually want my grading not to update automatically; essentially have that rebuild option but for my grading group.

Here's a little more background, I have two feature lines and created a grading group based on them. Now I want to edit several vertices along the feature line to adjust the grading. However, each time I move one vertex my grading updates and that takes a minute. I have over a hundred vertices on each feature line which I will be moving around (so now that minute in between vertex edits really adds up). I anticipate several rounds of edits to my feature lines so I'm looking for a way to cut down the time it takes.

Hopefully that makes sense...I work at an engineering firm and every person who has done similar work has run into the same problem. The only work around seems to be deleting the grading group, make my edits, then recreate. But with such an iterative project, this doesn’t save to much time. Thanks.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

The grading will still rebuild in this case. The surface usually takes very
little time to rebuild. The OP I'm sure is wanting to halt the grading
object rebuild and not the surface. I don't think this can be done however.

--
Matt Kolberg
Global CADD Systems - A division of Cansel

"gknobbe" wrote in message news:6386995@discussion.autodesk.com...
> go to the prospector--- right click the surface---take the check mark off
> of rebuild automatic
Message 5 of 18
Lizewski

Yup thats what I want. It seems that option should exist but maybe not...
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

It seems to me you would not want to have grading updates disabled. Think of
what would happen if you started moving vertices on a baseline around while
the associated gradings stayed in place. Aside from being disorienting, it
could also be distastrous when you finally tell C3D to update everything.
There would be crossing breaklines and gradings everywhere which would
likely cause a crash. If you wanted to save your work up to the point of
updating, you would probably not be able to recover your drawing as it would
try to process the grading and crash every time you open it.

It seems to me that for the forseeable future we are going to have to live
with things as they are.
Message 7 of 18
eladkcem
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with Neilw.... but shouldn't there be a way to change the style of a feature line (say from no display to some standard style) without completely rebuilding the grading? I'm not making any changes to the feature line itself.... I just want to turn it off and on without re-grading the entire site... (This wouldn't be an issue, except it takes quite a bit to update...)

-d

Message 8 of 18
neilyj666

this would be better in a new thread

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 18
MikeEvansUK

Nail on the head (hit the).

Delete the group then rebuild is the preferred method (currently). Don't forget you can use a corridor for working instead where you anticipate lots of iterations.

I agree the ability to Turn off automatic updates would be very beneficial especially when making minor edits although Neil has a good point. Perhaps we need an update Y/N dialogue option.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 10 of 18
peterfarkas

It is 2021 and this is still not available. I am inserting vertices to a feature line that is the base for a grading an I have to wait minutes between each point. Have been doing this for half an hour and managed to insert 2 points because you have to wait for the rebuild...

Message 11 of 18
Neilw_05
in reply to: peterfarkas

We need the gradings to update when we make changes. The problem is the performance of the software is making it take too long. Here it is 11 years later and we are still struggling with this horrible performance while we instead get new ways to make pretty presentations with Infraworks.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 12 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw_05 My suspicion is that the grading objects are built on ancient code and it wouldn’t look good to the shareholders if resources were diverted to fixing this. I am led to believe that performance issues are the current hot topic and they are looking at certain things in a bid to improve things. 

@peterfarkas What are the specs of the machine you are using?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
Neilw_05
in reply to: neilyj666

I absolutely believe the technology is fundamentally deficient and thus these issues cannot be fixed. That is why there have been no significant improvements in the grading tool issues since the beginning. The only solution is a new product.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 14 of 18
peterfarkas

I have a good machine. But I work a lot with earthworks that require complex grading objects that sometimes build on feature lines derived from each other. Also working with point clouds is becoming more of a standard so even when I simplify the surface especially for grading purposes has a huge amount of triangles still, so a lot of computation.

Otherwise I work on a good machine. But still things sometimes painfully slow.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

Message 15 of 18
wfberry

Unless something has changed recently, having a Xeon with all those processors yields very little benefit.  Basically Civil 3D only uses one.

Bill

Message 16 of 18
gespino639K4
in reply to: wfberry

Hello,

I have found a workaround:

1. create a simplified surface from a square with the average elevation of the target surface, this will be our auxiliar surface: "AUX-AVRG ELEV".

2. replace this auxiliar surface as the new target in the grading (right click, grading editor).

3. move the feature line as you please, it should be a lot faster now.

4. change the target back to regenerate the actual grading (right click, grading editor).

I hope this was helpful 

Message 17 of 18
peterfarkas
in reply to: gespino639K4

Hi

That is not a bad idea. Might try it next.

However since then I stopped using pointcloud surfaces. Too slow and result in crazy grading outlines (too much detail). When I need to create gradings, I decide on some precision based on what sort of area and/or project we are talking about and extract contour lines from the point cloud to create a grading target surface from those extracted contours. (Most areas I use 10cm contours which is well enough precision in most cases.) This way the gradings go real quick and the precision also doesnt suffer.

Message 18 of 18
neilyj666

I use point cloud surfaces BUT I use Surface Simplication > Edge Contraction > 70-80% reduction and this grossly reduces the surface size while keeping the required DTM accuracy and all remains dynamic. 

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report