Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading tools

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
trynders
441 Views, 12 Replies

Grading tools

Hi all.  I have a building pad  with a feature line around it.  outside of that area, I have a fence line that is not a constant distance from the building.  I have created a feature line for the fence and assigned the elevations from the existing surface.  How do I use the grading tools to grade from my building to the fence line at whatever slope it requires.  I only see to grade to surface, distance, etc.  Can I have Civil3d grade from the building feature line to the other feature line?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
trynders
in reply to: trynders

Silly me... Thought about it more and all I need to do is select the two feature line and add to proposed surface.  Duh!

Message 3 of 13
tkelleher

That is so funny.  I am doing EXACTLY the same thing, building, fence, grading, blah blah blah, and was about to post the same sort of question....and then I saw your solution.  And I've been sitting here for about 40 minutes thinking...about...it....and I suddenly understand why that would work.  Too funny.  🙂

Message 4 of 13
Neilw_05

Adding the featurelines as breaklines is a good solution. If you wanted to include the transition area in your gradings you could create an infill between the featurelines. That of course would require the area to be enclosed. Why would you want to use an infill? It comes into play if you want to use the Balance Volumes tool which only works with gradings, so you would need the infill for that area to be included in the volume calcs.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 13
tkelleher
in reply to: Neilw_05

ooh, that's a good idea, and helps me with a different question I had....handling the transition between some of my gradings.  I can grab those feature lines and use an infill.  I like it.

Thanks Neil!

Message 6 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: tkelleher

You can add an infill to any enclosed area as long as the bounding featurelines are in the same site. For open ended areas you would have to come up with a scheme to close it that works with the grading plan.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 13
Joe-Bouza

You can infill all FL grading and keep the clutter out of you surface definition
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 13
tkelleher
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

What do you mean, Joseph?  Do you mean grab all of your feature lines resulting from grading, toss out the grading, and then infill them?  Is that what you do?

By the way, what is the best way to 'snag' or keep a feature line from grading, if you plan to delete the grading?  Just copy it to a different site?

Message 9 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

There is another benefit to using infills that I should mention. When you add the infill, that area becomes interactive with other gradings. For example if you have a building pad with gradings around the perimeter, by adding an infill to the interior, then any gradings that intersect the pad will be intercepted and form a seam.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tkelleher

Hello TK

What I mean is  if you create a grading with a surface, you can add FL's in the same site as the grading and they will automatically be added as gading data to the surface without having to add FL to the surface definition. I dont know if it a real beifit, but it makes organizint the definition easier. edit the FL the grading updates and thus the surface updates

I just dont like looking at the def tab and seeing oodle and oodles of lines.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I was not aware of that behavior Joe. When you consider how the grading topology rules work it makes sense. I did test it to verify it works as you say.

I'll be thinking about the pros and cons of this.

One Kudo for you
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 13
neilyj666

I would throw in the usual caveats about the bugginess of the grading object and the inevitable crash that will occur when using them. ..😐

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 13 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I concur Neil, but will add: in my experience it is mostly with projection grading; infills have been stable for me. Unfortynately, infill gradings don't seem to like being tied to dynamic FL like alignment/ profile yada yada

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report