Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Subdivisions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
TROYDAWES
811 Views, 4 Replies

Grading Subdivisions

Hello,

I am new to Civil 3D, I am working with Civil 3D 2014, I played with 2009 back in 2008 and before that it was Land desktop.  I don't know if I am not following a standard workflow, or if I am missing a step.

Here is what I am doing.

1. Build the EG from contours.
  2. Layout the CL for the ROW and convert to a horizontal alignments.
  3. Create the profiles.
  4. Design the vertical alignment in the profile.
  5. Create the assemblies for the different types of road sections.
  6. Full profile, pavement width assembly, the curb return assembly, the daylight left / right, 1/2 side left / right, and pavement width left / right.
  7. Build the corridor, set the target surface as EG or FG, depending on where the section of the corridor is located. (At the edge of the property to EG, then after the first building pad to FG)
  8. This is where I have a thought something is wrong. If I am grading the entire site, why would I have the ROW grade to the EG, when I will need the surface to grade from the ROW to the closest building pads?
  9. Create the intersections, using the different types of assemblies, per the ROW sections.
  10. Create feature lines and use elevation editor to set all the elevations around the pad.
  11. Using the Grading creation tool, grade to surface, using a 2:1 side slope. Then adding an infill to the pad.

I keep having the file crash after grading about 10 lots. I recover and it works find, but then the file runs very slow, and will crash. I haven't taken any classes in Civil 3d, and am looking for one in my area, but does anyone have any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

I am use to creating the vertical surface then creating points along the CL, TBC, FL, BOW then creating break lines along the points. Then create a break line for the pads, and build the FG contours from these break lines.  

Thanks in advance for any help,

Troy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gccdaemon
in reply to: TROYDAWES

You might want to rough grade the pads first and target your roads based on the new grading. Might save you a little heartache. Instead of doing "Breaklines" you can use Feature Lines and set transitions and elevations.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 5
Neilw_05

With regard to your item #8, you will typically want to grade from the edge of the roadway or sidewalk to the pads, so the ROW usually doesn't come into play for that scenario.

As to when to tie the roads into the terrain, I like to first see how the road fits the terrain before moving on to pad grading. The visual feedback can help determine if adjustments are needed. There are likely some techniques you can use to preserve the daylighting for reference while you develop the pad grading if  it helps.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 5
fcernst

" If I am grading the entire site"

If this is a typical new subdivision and the above is true, then the Corridors for the internal streets typically do not use any surface targets in the typical workflow. They are simply a part of FG.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 5
troma

With regard to #1 on your list, you should read this: http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/

We typically don't target any surface with our corridors. We use the corridor surface to set the front of the lots.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report