Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading objects - Linking?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Chaznsc
642 Views, 15 Replies

Grading objects - Linking?

I have been creating grading objects from my curb lines, assigning grades using the editor, then offsetting that line for the BACK of curb, and using the raise-lower command to raise the curb line height. If I edit the original face of curb line (gutter grade) then I go back and redo the process. Is there any way to intelligently link these two lines so that if one gets edited C3D knows the other is 0.5 feet higher (or lower) than its neighbor?

Prolly a stupid question.

chaz_

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: Chaznsc

I create a feature line assign elevations for the edge of pavement, then use the grading creation tools to create the face and top the of the curb. For the face of curb I typically have then tool set up to offset the feature line up .5 and over .01, I then use the tools to offset the top face of curb over .5 and slope of 0%. Now if you adjust the EOP elevations everything will adjust dynamically.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 16
Chaznsc
in reply to: sjg

Makes sense!! Pardon my ignorance.

Message 4 of 16
Neilw_05

Gradings would be a great tool for modeling curbs and sidewalks, but they have proven to be unreliable (easily get corrupted and crash C3D) and they can't create mitered corners which is needed for many curb and sidewalk scenarios. Most avoid using gradings. Some resort to corridors but they also have issues when used in grading scenarios. So really there is no ideal solution at this time.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 16
Chaznsc
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil,

Thanks for the input. I am just grateful for another possible approach.

Message 6 of 16
Neilw_05

If you decide to use gradings or corridors, let us know your experience.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

So far so good with grading on my end, I use lots of sites to prevent intermingling, and clean feature lines. I know its a slippery slope but they are working so far.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 16
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

How do you handle mitered corners Joe?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 16
Chaznsc

Why do you use multiple SITES? (Not sure I fully understand the SITE concept as of yet)

Message 10 of 16
Neilw_05

Gradings tend to corrupt or cause crashes when they interact with each other. Putting them on separate sites should help. I would think it makes for a bit of a headache to keep everything sorted to the proper site though.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 16
neilyj666

If you have two roughly parallel feature lines and grade to the left along one and to the right along the other to form a V, then if the lines are in the same site the gradings will tidy up the intersection of the two slopes  but if in different sites then you just end up with two gradings.

When gradings work they are great but when they go wrong (not as frequently in 2012 admittedly) better hope you have a backup drawing.........

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 16
losfotos
in reply to: neilyj666

I've had pretty good luck using grading objects to create curbs, gutters and pans in some pretty multi-family sites (apartments). Using corridors would be crazy and the grading objects are the easiest way. There are just some things you have to be careful of, like them touching grading objects attached to other feature lines. I have one I'm working on right now that has at least 400 grading objects and I just keep things clean and really don't have issues. I do keep voided copies every few days and I do have meltdowns on occasions as well but since I started using C3D that has been pretty normal.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 13 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: losfotos

400 gadings! Bless your heart. Curious what is the file size of that beheemoth?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 16
neilyj666

400 gradings - I'd get very nervous everytime the file was opened....and I'd make sure I had a decent backup....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 15 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I would be nervous as well. I have tested gradings in every version. I have had them disapear in every version. In 2014 the first test disappeared one week after creation. More than likely due to Audit or Recover IMO but those commands are unavoidable...

If can can offer the OP one other option with Feature lines. There is a command called Adjacent Elevations by Reference where you can select one feature line (bottom of curb) and tell C3D to raise/lower the other feature line (top of curb) by an elev difference, slope or grade. It is extremely useful to me with Fline models.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
losfotos

Just realized someone had written about file size. I just opened the file and it was 10,780 KB. Big for autocad to deal with I guess. I really don't have any big problems with it. Sometimes it crashes but after 20 years of using Autodesk products I save every few minutes so generally I don't lose much if a file crashes. I did have a grading object that I could not erase to save my life earlier today, I ended up wblocking it out...

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report