Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading not tying into surface correctly

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
491 Views, 2 Replies

Grading not tying into surface correctly

For some reason I have a grading that "shoots out" beyond where it should tie in to a surface - see the right side of the attached pictures. I've also attached a picture of an old backup of the file that shows - more or less - what the grading should look like. Any ideas why my grading isn't tying into the target surface correctly?

I also attached a screenshot of the grading with the surface points turned on. You can see that there are points along the line that the grading "shoots off to," but I don't know why. I tried moving and modifying these points; that seemed to work, but then the points essentially reset themselves when I rebuilt the surface. I must be able to rebuild the surface, so this is not a solution.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't diagnose the problem without your drawing but I suspect it is related to the sharp corner at the west end of the problem area. Apparently the grading is overlapping itself at that corner which may be causing the grading to fail beyond the corner. I suggest you clean up that corner by one of the following:

Add a fillet to the corner

Adjust the slope to a steeper value until the garding doesn't overlap

Create a gap in the grading at the corner and adjust the regions on either side until the daylighting meets, or draw a featureline across the gap, then fill in the gap with an infill.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 3
bryan.w
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous, I had a similar problem to which I have found a solution now. Check if there is a gap between your grading toe line and the edge of your surface. The gap between these two features cause the profile to go above or below your target surface.

Turn on your triangles and delete all triangles between the features. Make sure that the toe line is on the edge of your surface. Then the issue should be resolved.

Regards,

Bryanno gapno gapbeforebeforeafteraftergap between toe and edge of surfacegap between toe and edge of surface

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report