Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading downward to surface

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jsolberg
2326 Views, 8 Replies

Grading downward to surface

I have a feature line that is below the surface of an existing earth dam embankment. I want to grade downward from that feature line at a shallow slope until it daylights somewhere down the embankment slope. How do I accomplish this? All I can get it to do is slope upward (cut) to the existing surface.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jsolberg

Can you post a picture? I can't see why it couldn't be done when I sketch you description.

One option is to over grade at you slope make a surface, compare and plot the zero contout to find you daylight.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 9
Neilw_05

Look at the help file for the setting shown in this screen capture.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 9
d1of2

Here is what you do. Create a temporary surface with the slope you are looking for from the feature line. Make sure that temporary surface extends beyond the limits of the earthen dam.

Then create a TIN volume surface between the earthen dam and your temporary surface. use a surface style on the volume surface you can see contours on. Create a user defined contour at elevation 0. This will be the intersection between you temporary slope and the earthen berm.

Extract the 0 elevation contour and use it to get elevations from your earthen berm surface. Add it to a new surface with your original feature line... There you go!

Windows 7 64
Intel Core i7 2.0 GHz 2.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
Message 5 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: d1of2

@d1of2 wrote:

Here is what you do. Create a temporary surface with the slope you are looking for from the feature line. Make sure that temporary surface extends beyond the limits of the earthen dam.

Then create a TIN volume surface between the earthen dam and your temporary surface. use a surface style on the volume surface you can see contours on. Create a user defined contour at elevation 0. This will be the intersection between you temporary slope and the earthen berm.

Extract the 0 elevation contour and use it to get elevations from your earthen berm surface. Add it to a new surface with your original feature line... There you go!

You could also omit the italicised section and simply use the MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces tool (best used in 2012/2013 as this creates a 3D polyline but 2011 can be used with a little more work)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Guys, I think you are making this far too complicated. All you need to do is change that search order setting to Fill First and the grading will then look for a solution downward rather than upward when in cut.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Good one Neil, I never saw that setting

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 9
jsolberg

I appreciate the responses. My immediate need was solved by setting fill first. There are other issues with trying to grade this project that have me reaching for the gun. I was doing this type of stuff easily with simple add-on tools twenty years ago. Why simple tasks have to be so complicated in Civil 3D is beyond me. Sorry, had to vent! I do appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza

They really meant it when they said forget everything you new about (LDT) or other apps; didn't they?

One thing that I have adopted and has been working for me is compartmentalize grading. I no longer look for the finished product from one tool or one pass of a grading app, but start off thinking in very general terms and refine as I go.

If you set out setting final grades in your first pass you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Look at it like a big block and chisel away small pieces at a time.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report