Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grading down from below surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
746 Views, 6 Replies

grading down from below surface

Lets say I have an existing surface with a round hill and I want to grade a building pad centered on the hill. My design is to cut the hill off at a certain elevation. I created a feature line representing my pad that is smaller in area than the flat cut off hill area. From my feature line, I want to grade down to the existing surface at a specific slope. My question is, how can I grade down at a specific slope to a surface. I have attempted to modify my grading criteria to grade down as if fill but it will only cut up creating a pond. I attached a plan view.

Thanks for the help.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I attached a quick profile that might help explain what is happening. Instead of grading up, I want to grade down to the surface at a specific slope.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 7
haroldpei1218

Why not use the grade option instead of the slope one?
Or have you tried to grade to a surface? It gives you a cut and fill scenario. Message was edited by: CADonkey
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

See the "Search Order" setting in grading criteria andread the help topic.

wrote in message news:6022765@discussion.autodesk.com...
I attached a quick profile that might help explain what is happening.
Instead of grading up, I want to grade down to the surface at a specific
slope.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 7
dgordon

in the grading tools you have the option to tell the grading to cut first or fill first. Trying changing this, and you should get the results your looking for.

Dan
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for your replies. I have tried your suggestions but the program will not create the grading. I have tried every configuration possible within my grading criteria targeting a surface, cut/fill with the search order set to fill first, fill slope with grade, fill slope with slope, nothing. I thought fill would work but the program will not create the grading. I attached a drawing if anyone would like to try to make it work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Message 7 of 7
dgordon

demus,

i was able to get this to work with a 30:1 slope. Anything steeper and you run out of surface before it can resolve.

The 1:3 you had, was unrealistic to expect it to create a fill situtation.

You could grade 1:3 down to 96 and then go flat out to edge of surface also.

Dan
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report